AG help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegged

Reaction score
Well, I have made it to AG #4, the tastes and quality of the beers produced in comparison to 'kits' is second to none.

The only problem I am finding is that my brews are all coming out a bit 'lifeless' with very minimal bubbles and never a head to be seen.

There have been some bottles in the batches that have had said carbonation and a slight head. But not many.

Perhaps I have not put enough sugar in when bottling? Or maybe the problem lies within my secondary fermentation vessel? Has anyone experienced this? Is there a common cause that I may not know about?

Please help!

:D

Carbonation needs 3 things, priming sugar, warmth, and TIME.
half a tsp of sugar per 500ml bottle, or its equiv amount of 5 gms per litre for bulk priming. Seal well and leave in the warmth for 2 weeks.... 14 days and then move to a cooler spot for further 7 days.
Your beers will be carbonated.

Certain Malts added to the brew will help on head retention i.e Torrefied wheat or Wheat Malt ( around 10% of the grain bill )
Clean drinking glasses with no grease or oil on them. ( so no chips or crisps while drinking )

you may need to add ingredients to help with head retention , can you list your last few recipes . many grains can help , wheat,biscuit ,carapils, etc etc , assuming you've primed correctly and kept warm long enough . Btw what was your bottling amount, style of brew and amount of sugar used ?

piddledribble said:
14 days and then move to a cooler spot for further 7 days.
Your beers will be carbonated.

Clean drinking glasses with no grease or oil on them. ( so no chips or crisps while drinking )

Thanks for your advice piddledribble - I have been leaving in warmth for 7 days then out in the shed for 3 weeks. I will try leaving in the warmth for longer next time.

All glasses are clean and no food is interfering. Thank you for your advice.

pittsy said:
can you list your last few recipes . many grains can help , wheat,biscuit ,carapils, etc etc , assuming you've primed correctly and kept warm long enough . Btw what was your bottling amount, style of brew and amount of sugar used ?

Thanks for your reply, my recipes have all been from Graham Wheelers book - Exmoor Gold, Broadside, Black Sheep, Timothy Taylors Landlord all bottled so far & currently have Sarahs Hughes Ruby Mild in the FV.

Regarding my bottling - I am averaging 32 bottles per brew, using a level tsp of brewing sugar. What do you mean regarding style of brew? Excuse my rookie questions. :oops:

style of brew , bitter , lager etc such as a bitter may have around 60/80g of sugar per 23l while lager may have around 160g per 23l . I think your problem may be due to using spoons , try batch priming by boiling water and said sugar then cool and pop into clean fv , then transfer fermented beer into clean fv then bottle . This way all your beers will be primed equally and the right amount :thumb:

pittsy said:
style of brew , bitter , lager etc such as a bitter may have around 60/80g of sugar per 23l while lager may have around 160g per 23l . I think your problem may be due to using spoons , try batch priming by boiling water and said sugar then cool and pop into clean fv , then transfer fermented beer into clean fv then bottle . This way all your beers will be primed equally and the right amount :thumb:

OK, my style of brewing so far has been Real Ales. Stouts, Bitters & Pale Ales. I am quite interested in trying batch priming next.

I am currently transferring to a secondary keg style barrel for 6 days after initial fermentation then bottling. Perhaps with my next brew I should batch prime into my keg after primary fermentation then bottle straight away?

next brew , try leaving it in primary for 10 days then (if hydrometer has stopped dropping) transfer it to your primed keg :cheers: p.s you may want between 80 and 120g depending how fizzy you like it

So following on from some good advice, I am about to batch prime.

I will be adding boiling water to 80-120g of sugar then putting this into my keg, along with the contents of my FV.

Then I will be bottling straight away.

But how much boiling water do I need to use? I am confused :oops:

Back