ag#12 Deaf Kev's APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Same old recipe. Tweaked ever so slightly. Unfortunately my glass sample jar broke today so I couldn't measure SG. I did however measure the pre-boil gravity so if I check my notes I should be able to guess the SG based on previous boil off rates, etc.

Apologies for the lack of pics. It got really dark and the pics were pointless.

Any how............

Grains

daabc309.jpg

Drinking a pint of what I'm brewing

1ced7cbe.jpg

Mash temp hit bang on

6f6cab4d.jpg

Loss over 90 mins

02ff781a.jpg

Sparge on

8530f9e0.jpg

Running into keggle

027f4c63.jpg

Boil on

c6b3e21a.jpg

33570cb3.jpg

Whilst I was boiling, I decided to keg my oatmeal stout.........

99a118eb.jpg

828a3125.jpg

a7f62f67.jpg

Break

20a50b19.jpg

Into FV

15834067.jpg

fe54447b.jpg

**** left over

8242a942.jpg

Very nice.
Just brewed an Irish Red today, and bottled my oatmeal stout and drinking me APA. Just can't get enough of them cascade hops just now :thumb:

Great pics, thanks.

Great pics thanks I only do kits at the moment but intend to do grain next year.It looks like you have a god set up.

Looks good. I was planning on doing an APA this weekend but the stupid courier clearly couldn't understand instructions like "leave the delivery next door if no one is home"!

Anyway, a caouple of questions:
Are you batch sparging there or fly sparging?
Is that boiler running off a single element?

Cheers b/bender & Craig. Pics would have been better if it didn't get dark!

K

Paul - I fly sparge. I find it easy now that I've got my volumes & temps sorted. I find it quicker than batch sparging which is also an added bonus.

The Burco boiler is only a single element but I only use it for my hot liquor. My main boiler (converted keg) is powered by a propane burner.

K

I really need to find a good guide to fly sparging; I always get confused over what volume to use and how long to leave it for. At present I simply batch sparge using 1.5 times the amount of water I used to mash and drain at 1litre per minute.

Latest posts

Back