H2S in my hydromels, what am I doing wrong??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuri

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is the second time I have tried to make a flower tea hydromel that resulted in sulfur smell and I really can't see what is so different about my recipe than what is shown on the internet. The first time I used less nutrients and staggered them, I read that I should add more nutrients and front-load. I also read that adding sulfites for sanitisation can add a risk of sulfur reduction (chemical reduction), so I decided to wait 36 hours in stead of 24 hours before adding my tea to the must to allow it to dissipate. So here is what I did:

475 grams of honey in about 4.75L of water (which was part tea and mostly elderflower tea steeped for 36 hours outside the fridge with 1 campden tablet). Half a packet of CY17 wine yeast. Front loaded a little over 5 grams of Fermaid O (which is a lot in my opinion). SG was 1.038. 3 days later I feel like I am starting to smell sulfur again.

I have some pure copper wire, but the danger of copper sulfide/sulfate has me not even wanting to try that for a solution. I am more just wondering how I could have possibly prevented this? Maybe someone has a theory..

Yuri

If you think that sulfur smell is an issue, then fermenting temp must be low, but I think your hydromel don't have an issue. Adding Sulfitet is not an issue with commedical yeasts.

Only a shot in the dark, but try changing your yeast. CY17 is, I think, one which produces the enzyme beta glucosidase which changes the flavours of certain aromatics. It is paticularly used to get the floral scent and taste when using sauvignon blanc grapes. While I can't imagine what biotransformations might take place in your honey/tisane mix, let alone where sulphur smells are coming from, there's certainly something going on. MJ do a specific yeast for mead, M-5. I'm using it for the first time and it looks very promising. Failing that, you might try a champagne or cider yeast.
Good luck.

Could you give us a link to your Internet recipe, please.

Last edited:
For me h2s is a yeast stress marker. So either it doesn't have enough yeast available nutrient (yeast starving) or the Campden tablet is nailing then (yeast dying).

The latter is my favorite.

Latest posts

Back