AG#1 infected or incredibly fast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrew

Reaction score
Hi,
Think I need help, please.
My first AG is either the fastest fermenting beer known to man or it's infected (or both).
I took a bit of a leap of faith and tried an all grain BIAB using a method and kit borrowed from LHBS. It's a draught bass bought as a kit and recommended because it was simple.
I set aside Saturday to brew. All seemed to go alright despite what I imagine are a few typical mistakes, strike temp too high, mash not stirred for a few minutes whilst panicking about lowering temp rapidly. Probably over rinsed /sparged as the boiler was practically brimful when boiling.
Due to lack of kit I didn't do anything to cool the wort, other than leaving it for a few hours in the garage and then brought in overnight.
On Sunday morning I checked the temperature (26 C) in the morning and the SG which at 1039 was a bit short of the target 1043. To be expected I guess due to the over rinsing. So I decided that was all near enough and dry pitched the S-04.

Now, normally with kits I guess I pitch a bit lower, 22 ish and where I store the FV it takes at least 7 days and I usually give it 10 as a minimum.

On Monday it was bubbling away nicely.

Today, Tuesday, I've just looked at it, no more bubbling, fairly strong vinegary smell and not the prettiest crausen. I thought it must be infected, so I took a SG reading and was flabbergasted to see it at 1008. This mashkit is supposed to finish at 1010. Got brave and had a taste and actually out of a glass it's not bad at all, quite bass like and not vinegary.

So, do I panic?

First thought prior to tasting was to tip it down the sink.

After tasting it and looking at the hydrometer I thought, "quick keg it before it does get infected", to the point where I just rinsed the keg out and found the vaseline for the seal but.....

now I'm thinking if it's not infected I'm best to leave it, rack it tomorrow and let it clear down a bit naturally.

Anybody done this type of kit? Any advice? and, keg, bottle or corney? I've got all empty and waiting.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...

S04 can rip through a brew in rapid time. Two days is not unusual, for the majority of the fermentation to be completed.

Don't panic, give it at least a few more days before you keg it. Keep the fv sealed and be patient. If it is infected, rushing won't save it anyway. And it is odd that it smelt vinegary but didn't taste vinegary. I'm guessing the vinegary taste was just the yeast/CO2 smell, or something. Hope so.

I agree that it's too soon to panic. Just leave it for 14 days before you keg, bottle or whatever. The longer you leave it in the FV, the less time it takes to clear after secondary fermentation, so it takes no more time in total but you get less gunk in the bottle or keg. Plus, if it really is infected, you'll know about it before wasting any more effort.
My bet is that the vinegar smell will disappear soon enough.:drink:
Did you check the temp. at any time after pitching? It might have run away with itself and gone high, giving a quick fermentation but potential off flavours and smells.

Thanks guys, I think I was just panicing a bit and it's good to know that S-04 is known for being able to do that.
The way forward is going to be:
rack it from lidded bucket to sealed fermentor today, leave it for at least 10 days.
Reassess and then bottle, keg (PB) or corney.
I'm not usually a big fan of using a PB but there's something about the taste of this out of the trial jar yesterday that makes me think it might be a good option. I think it might be a memory of the legendary draught Bass at the Seven Stars at home in Falmouth.:smile:
Somehow force carbing Bass in a corney just doesn't seem right and bottling something called 'draught' even less so.
Now the only problem is that the sealed fermentor still has 5 gallons of Coopers European lager at 12-14C and needs racking into the glass carbouy which is currently full of Winexpert Australian Shiraz. Busy day of racking, filtering and bottling coming up.

+1 on the s-04 ripping through ferment. I just put on an extract brew, pitched on Saturday afternoon, all over by Monday lunchtime. Bubbled like a nutter. It really seems to be the mentalist of dried yeast! I leave mine for 2 weeks in the FV too, compacts down nicely after that time.

Latest posts

Back