A quick question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert

Reaction score
I made the Edme stout pack up to 15 litres and added 300g of treacle. Fermentation seems to have stopped and the gravity's around 1.12. It still tastes very much of treacle.

I didn't check the OG, my other bitter's ~1.00. Should I add a pack of yeast to the Stout? I have some champaign yeast knocking around, I have a feeling the temperature became too low and the fermentation stuck.

Hi Robert,

Do you mean the gravity is now 1.012 ? If so that's not too bad an end point.
If you want to get it lower you could try warming it back up to 20 or 22 deg c and rousing the yeast.

Hi Robert.

You're missing a digit off your hydrometer readings, they are always quoted to three decimal places.

As Vossy says, 1.012 would be a good Final Gravity, I've brewed that kit to 23 litres and it finished at 1.008

Champagne yeast: :nono:

i just checked again, I think it's more like 1.016, I'm still getting used to using the hydrometer. I'll do what you said,

once bottled and conditioned for a few weeks the black treacle taste won`t be so strong - my AG old peculier clone had 454grams of black treacle in and has been bottled four weeks and early tastes are very promising - black treacle works very well in dark brews given a little time, my brew is 6.6% and will be left another five or six weeks ;)

Latest posts

Back