Low abv beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartmarler

From Sunny Worthing. New Brewer.
Reaction score
For health reasons, are there any low alcohol beer kits out there?

I like my beer but just on some tablets that see no alcohol, so, low abv might get away with....

Any udeas please.... not all grain kits as not able to go down that route just yet.

Thanks

What sort of ABV range are you looking for? 2-3% or lower? For kits, you could maybe leave out some or even all of the added sugar. Probably would have to experiment to see what works for you, but that's where I'd start.

Thinking all grain gives you control of the mash, lo/no becomes easier.

Malt tinned or dry is already concentrated with sugars.

Kits just don't appear to exist.

What size would you normally make?

I'd agree on the all grain, but I think the OP just wants to stick his toe in and have a go without too much financial outlay. A kit beer like this one would be worth a try. It's supposed to come out at 4.2% ABV, but that's with the 1.75Kg extract kit plus another 1Kg of dextrose. If he left out the dextrose, would that be an option? Same amount of wort, but lower OG. I wouldn't think the flavour would be too off, dextrose doesn't really add anything from a flavour perspective.

Dave Line, great homebrew writer that he was, had a Lo Alc beer recipe. Think it was in his book 'Beer Kits and Brewing'. I'll see if I have a copy.

I'd be inclined to brew a kit long, and dry hop to give back some flavour.
You could probably calculate the additional hops needed rather than dry hop. Think you can use an IBU calculator that will give you the hop quantities for a given volume and OG. You'd just need to know the target IBU.

Latest posts

Back