What the hell! Not leffe!?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I’m really quite disgusted at this, why the hell have they changed the abv of leffe blonde from 6.6% to 6%?!
I only checked the back of the bottle as it tasted watery and thin. Guess I wont be drinking leffe in the uk ever again.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpeg
    IMG_8738.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 25
Whats jdw? Apparently it’s only lower % for the uk market according to Google. So sick of the uk crapping all over Belgian beers. First Stella now leffe
Stella was never a great loss (I used to do some work in Belgium and the locals said it was only for tourists and alcoholics)

Leffe looks like its brewed over here now.

oh dear, a brexit bonus or taking the uk consumer for fools? maybe both.
It's because of the increases in duty which are needed to partly replace the £bns of tax lost due to Brexit, and partly because the government has identified changing the duty system to favour draught over smallpack as something that they couldn't do under existing EU rules. And they're really desperate to do stuff to show that we're "free", regardless of the knock-on effects.

So the tax on bottles of beer is going up, and that means ABV reductions to keep beer at the same price points. You're also going to see a lot of weaker beers being reduced to 3.4% to go under a new tax boundary. Likewise it is going to be very hard for breweries to sell anything over 8.5% as the duty has doubled. One to pay attention to is Huyghe, who used to brew a special 7.5% version of Delirium for the UK to fit under the old strong beer limit, hopefully they will now send us the standard 8.5% version.

I admit I haven't tried it but based on the video above and a friend of mine who is a big leffe drinker I would expect that the recipe has changed somewhat and it's not just a 0.6 abv reduction.

This is bad news although I didn't buy it that often. I brewed a clone a few times though which was amazing so that's what I'll get ready for Christmas.

I will be brewing,soon hopefully, the Leffe Blonde recipe as supplied by Cheshire Cat in the 2022 thread "Christmas beer ideas". Talking of Chesh....not seen him about in a good while. I hope he's doing alright!
Doesn't seem to have been active since April. You can't even tag him with @Cheshire Cat. I wonder if he deactivated his account? 😞

Latest posts

Back