What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed for International Womens Day. Thankfully, no bearded haze-bros involved.
DSC_0044-01.jpeg

Actually, it's made with hops from female operated hop farms.

Not very, it’s a classic Speyside. This one has loads of vanilla with done hints of coconut in it. It’s a corker.
I had a few good whiskeys tonight the best was a dingle single pot triple distilled in Maderia casks at 57.6% that was amazing vanilla and caramel in abundance. Starting to really get into good whiskey

I can recommend penderyn Maderia cask. It started Mrs DOJ & I on our journey into good whisky. Previously we were exposed to bells and teachers which to us now seem like the Fosters of Whiskies. Dalwhinnie 15 , Glenkinchie 12 and Balblair 12 are all ones we like. Clynleish 14 we'll not be repeating. Spayside light and Delicate are the ones we prefer. The nearer to the bottom left corner of the Whisky Flavour map the better athumb..

American Pale Ale is the first cab of the ranks, well ended up as six counting the dead soldiers. Can't say they were enjoyable, and I really tried.
IMG_0937.JPG

Nice lacing and somewhat hoppy but these aren't for me.
IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

Final beer of the night, a country cousin English pale ale, (Nancy Naylor Landlady) lovely hop-in-the-mouth flavour, now I know I have had a drink. Delicious.
IMG_0941.JPG

First taste of my latest Helles and I’m getting apple off-flavours yet again 😡. I’m going back to the drawing board with lager yeasts. I suspect I’m coming up short on pitch rate, this was the second pitch from the ‘Double D’ starter overbuild. Either the vitality wasn’t as high as I expected or I got the numbers wrong somewhere with either starter.

View attachment 97907

The Cali Common that has been sitting in the corny for quite a few weeks shares that trait and its still cloudy. Its drinkable but not what I want so I think I'm going to dump the rest of the keg (nearly full). 🫤

Just read a book about making a Helles and I'm looking forward to my next attempt.

Thanks.
Strange it didn't ferment down further

Yeah. I was trying to come up with a recipe that gave it every chance of the body of a normal beer. I'm happy with the result on that front.
Next time I do one I'll scale down the grain bill so it's more in line with the David Heath style recipe. Interesting to see if it has any impact on the flavour / mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back