What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First was my Pale Ale followed by my Golden Ale. Golden Ale took some getting down following the Pale Ale with its huge IBU hit of English hops. The Golden Ale with Noble hops tasted so sweet with lots of malt coming through. Having an Extra Stout now just to get rid of the taste.
View attachment 94408View attachment 94409
All looking very familiar to my beers and drinking postings.
What IBUs OG and FG is the Golden Ale, and does it have a big slug of crystal malt in it?

Once a year, often around this time, I go on a short crash diet to keep my body shape in check and avoid having to buy a new wardrobe of larger sized clothes.

This year I’m going to give low-alcohol beers a try and bought a selection from Sainsburys. In case anyone else is interested I’ve arranged the beers in order of calories; alcohol; and in case of interest from any diabetics, order of carbs.

Calories (per 100ml)
Infinite 11, Doom Bar 13, Guinness & Pine Trail 17, Speckled Hen 22, Erdinger 25, Lazer Crush & Free Star 27
IMG_5875.jpeg

ABV
Doom Bar & Guinness 0.0%, Lazer Crush 0.3%, the rest 0.5% (although Erdinger says <0.5%)
IMG_5876.jpeg

Carbs (grams per 100 ml)
Infinite 2, Doom Bar 3.2, Guinness & Pine Trail 3.8, Speckled Hen 4.1, Erdinger 5.3, Lazer Crush 5.9, Free Star 6.1
IMG_5877.jpeg

Naturally I’ll have to follow this up with how good they are 😉. I still want to limit myself to the equivalent of one regular pint each evening so this is my selection for tonight (total 192 calories). I’ll let you know how I get on in this new thread started by Chippy….

New thread started HERE as suggested by Chippy Tea so this type of beer can be discussed further by any members interested.

IMG_5878.jpeg

Last edited:
Once a year, often around this time, I go on a short crash diet to keep my body shape in check and avoid having to buy a new wardrobe of larger sized clothes.

This year I’m going to give low-alcohol beers a try and bought a selection from Sainsburys. In case anyone else is interested I’ve arranged the beers in order of calories; alcohol; and in case of interest from any diabetics, order of carbs.

Calories (per 100ml)
Infinite 11, Doom Bar 13, Guinness & Pine Trail 17, Speckled Hen 22, Erdinger 25, Lazer Crush & Free Star 27
View attachment 94421

ABV
Doom Bar & Guinness 0.0%, Lazer Crush 0.3%, the rest 0.5% (although Erdinger says <0.5%)
View attachment 94422

Carbs (grams per 100 ml)
Infinite 2, Doom Bar 3.2, Guinness & Pine Trail 3.8, Speckled Hen 4.1, Erdinger 5.3, Lazer Crush 5.9, Free Star 6.1
View attachment 94423

Naturally I’ll have to follow this up with how good they are 😉. I still want to limit myself to the equivalent of one regular pint each evening so this is my selection for tonight (total 192 calories). I’ll let you know how I get on.
View attachment 94424
Welcome back but no thank you 😜

All looking very familiar to my beers and drinking postings.
What IBUs OG and FG is the Golden Ale, and does it have a big slug of crystal malt in it?
Basically this Gordon Strong recipe with minor changes to the malt bill and just used noble hops. I was thinking last night whether it would be making again using a 60-minute neutral bittering hop or just go with my usual English hops. I use SMPH IBU method but just tone it down slightly.
https://byo.com/recipe/british-golden-ale/

Latest posts

Back