The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the number of various things wrong with my wife, she is 68 years old, they are never going to insure us. I have been paying national insurance, a tax bought in to fund the NHS, for 55 years so why should I now have to pay twice?
My daughter has 3 children, the eldest born in Chicago, the younger 2 in Southend general. Even with a good level of insurance in America there are still a lot of things you have to pay for. She has said she would pick the NHS anytime.

With the number of various things wrong with my wife, she is 68 years old, they are never going to insure us. I have been paying national insurance, a tax bought in to fund the NHS, for 55 years so why should I now have to pay twice?

Spot on.

My daughter has 3 children, the eldest born in Chicago, the younger 2 in Southend general. Even with a good level of insurance in America there are still a lot of things you have to pay for. She has said she would pick the NHS anytime.
First off I hope your wife gets well soon. It is the same here, you have to be in private health when one is fit and healthy. You just can't join when you get something wrong or get old, it won't be covered.
The whole idea is if everyone joined up to private health then the young and fit will be subsidizing the elderly and sick. If everyone was in it it would be cheaper than NHS. We don't pay anything directly to NHS it comes from taxes, when I got a collapsed lung I was in public for 3 nights for observation.
The adjoining private wing was about 20 meters down the corridor, I asked the doctor if I should move into there as I felt guilty taking up a public bed. The doctor told me I would be better looked after in public, when I had the operation I was in private and the doctor was right, there were more trainee nurses in private outnumbering the trained nurses, public was the opposite.
Andy Burnham follows
Trades Union Congress
@The_TUC

BREAKING | 121,253 teachers have voted YES for strike action to win a pay increase for teachers and support staff.
@NEUnion members have voted 90.4% in favour of strike action, with a turn out of 53.27%, meaning most schools in England and Wales will shut.
Seems like madness to me, the country is in a financial mess and now plagued by strikes. If the government topples then it would be best to hope the Labour Party can do better.

Seems like madness to me, the country is in a financial mess and now plagued by strikes. If the government topples then it would be best to hope the Labour Party can do better

What is madness is this government can find many billions for a high speed rail system that will benefit a tiny percentage of the population and at the same time put essential workers on a 7 year pay freeze, they could have mothballed it until things got back to normal but no they carry on spending an obscene amount on it people have had enough and are now doing something about it..

What is madness is this government can find many billions for a high speed rail system that will benefit a tiny percentage of the population and at the same time put essential workers on a 7 year pay freeze, they could have mothballed it until things got back to normal but no they carry on spending an obscene amount on it people have had enough and are now doing something about it..
Doesn't matter, two wrongs don't make a right. The UK is facing a dire economic future, they are going to slide right down the league table of growth among the developed nations. They are not in a very nice place at all.

I'm convinced that the Government (laughingly so called) is trying to reduce the country to complete rubble in the certainty hey won't be re-elected. Labour will have an impossible task on it's hands and the Tories hope to be elected to clear up the mess they, themselves made , but Labour will have failed to address sufficiently. With the press on their side it can happen and as human stupidity is one of the two fundamental forces in the universe, it probably will happen.

Doesn't matter, two wrongs don't make a right. The UK is facing a dire economic future, they are going to slide right down the league table of growth among the developed nations. They are not in a very nice place at all.
You could well be right all countries can go thru a bad patch, apart from switzerland possibly and we are on a downward trend atm.

The UK is facing a dire economic future
As I said why are they still throwing billions at projects we don't need right now and some would say ever instead of sorting out the mess they have got us into using the money saved by mothballing HS2 for a few years.

As I said why are they still throwing billions at projects we don't need right now and some would say ever instead of sorting out the mess they have got us into using the money saved by mothballing HS2 for a few years.
Do you think this could have been a knee-jerk reaction to covid lockdowns killing the economy and by going ahead with it they aimed to ease the blow a little? It's said the best thing to invest in during a downturn is infrastructure? - Only other things have cropped up and contracts may almost cost as much to cancel than proceed?

Do you think this could have been a knee-jerk reaction to covid lockdowns killing the economy and by going ahead with it they aimed to ease the blow a little? It's said the best thing to invest in during a downturn is infrastructure? - Only other things have cropped up and contracts may almost cost as much to cancel than proceed?
All i see is billions being spent on something that could be mothballed for a couple of years the money would benefit all those now struggling instead of a small minority wanting to get to London a few minutes earlier than they can now.

I have been paying national insurance, a tax bought in to fund the NHS, for 55 years so why should I now have to pay twice?
National Insurance was brought in 37 years before the NHS - and in theory most of it is to pay for benefits not health. Even if 100% of NI went to health it wouldn't cover the DoH budget, but in fact only about 1/6 of it is allocated to health.

So the numbers are way out - NI doesn't even begin to pay for the NHS.

All i see is billions being spent on something that could be mothballed for a couple of years the money would benefit all those now struggling instead of a small minority wanting to get to London a few minutes earlier than they can now.
From what I have read scrapping the project could cost up to 12 billion GBP in write offs and compensation. Contracts have been signed off on. A similar thing happened here a liberal government had signed off on an East West link the Labor government scrapped it at a cost the state $1.1 billion

And what happens to the contractors who have invested a lot of money on the project? They will still be wanting to be compensated scrap or stall.
They could probably go on strike, like the nurses, doctors, teachers and train drivers have had to do when they haven't been fairly compensated for over a decade.

They could probably go on strike, like the nurses, doctors, teachers and train drivers have had to do when they haven't been fairly compensated for over a decade.
Either way it is the public who will be bearing the brunt with higher taxes for all of them.

Latest posts

Back