Adding DME to AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm an idiot for not posting this sooner as I'm just about to start the boil. I should have posted last night when I thought of it.

Anyway. I did try and search but there were too many hits, so apols if this is a repeat question.

In order to use some stuff up, I've decided to chuck some DME in to a brew.

When I have added sugars to AG in the past, I've added them about 15 mins from the end of boil.

Is it the same for DME?

Cheers

Screenshot_20240518_070338_Chrome.jpg

DME is so much better than liquid extract. And yes, I would say all you're doing is dissolving it so can just go in at the end and then give it long enough to break up the clumps which are inevitable

dme doesn't need to be boiled for flavour purposes. I often pour it into a fer-mentor of non boiled water. The process of making it means it should be free of microorganisms when packed.

I'm curious as to why you want to put DME into an all grain brew. Why not just add more grain in the first place?

I'm curious as to why you want to put DME into an all grain brew. Why not just add more grain in the first place?
I've added it in the past due to:

Sometimes your wort doesn't hit the target OG and needs a bit of help

Your stovetop AG stock pot doesn't have capacity for a higher strength brew

The grain pipe/bag would be too heavy to lift safely because you're trying to make an imperial stout.

But mostly because it gives better result than adding Tate & Lyle's finest.

Latest posts

Back