The BBC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect Braverman will respond with new legislation making it illegal to criticise government policy next

It's a shame the BBC feel the need to censor someone who has nothing to do with politics and merely stated a fact. "Impartial" my ass.

These asylum seekers are not freeloading bums, rather they're doctors, tradesmen, teachers, youngsters with a bright and productive future. The UK hasn't enough trained people- no builders, plumbers, sparkies, insufficient doctors and nurses and teachers so what's the problem with welcoming these folk with open arms. Germany understands this and that;s why they've snapped up around two million of them. Germany, like the UK has an aging population and also wants productive young workers to contribute to it's burden of pensions. Our right wing government and press stir up xenophobia, fear and hatred all too easily and we're more than happy to buy into it. One of the two infinitely powerful forces is well at work in the UK- Human Stupidity.
Asylum seekers are not a threat, they're a gift.
The same for economic migrants.

An Ankou you must be wrong there. I have been assured by people who have done no research whatsoever that these criminals come here to raid our luxurious benefits system, which includes.... If my Right Wing media bingo card is accurate....

A 9 bedroom mansion from which a War hero has been forcibly evicted.

A very large TV with many subscriptions.

Several IPhones

Numerous foreign holidays

Lip fillers for all

Substantial supplies of avocados and Houmous

Access to a "lefty lawyer"

An Ankou you must be wrong there. I have been assured by people who have done no research whatsoever that these criminals come here to raid our luxurious benefits system, which includes.... If my Right Wing media bingo card is accurate....

A 9 bedroom mansion from which a War hero has been forcibly evicted.

A very large TV with many subscriptions.

Several IPhones

Numerous foreign holidays

Lip fillers for all

Substantial supplies of avocados and Houmous

Access to a "lefty lawyer"
You forgot to mention that they steal our women and pee in our beer. 👹
👹😈😈👺

I'm waiting for my invitation to stand in and do the commentary for MOTD, which shall joyfully decline in the most foul-mouthed terms I can muster.
No, you should accept it, because when you get the chance to be in a live match you can eat a derriere wobbling curry the night before.
Then during the live coverage you can let rip loudly. 🤢When your co presenters ask what is that , you can say " its the stench of hypocrisy in this studio "

wink...

Through migration were i live you have access to the foods of the world, it's Lineker i have no time for and BBC and Government, right it's off to the kebab shop i go

I'm a migrant, for heaven's sake. I've never encountered even the merest hint of animosity here in France, even after the betrayal of Brexit. When I was a nipper, our family emigrated to Australia. I used to get called a Pom, but I never felt any sense of malice in it. On our return to the South of England some four years later, the ribbing and bullying was brutal for the sole reason that I had a "funny" accent.
The point of this being to ask the question, why do we hate "foreigners" so much?

Last edited:
You can't cater for the shortcomings of the knuckledraggers. Lineker is a football presenter and made his non-football-related opinion known on a personal social media account. He didn't say it on-air, online or on company time and it took the BBC a number of days to work out what its own guidelines meant.

For contrast, Fiona Bruce on BBC Question Time was happy to excuse Stanley Johnson from breaking his wife's nose as it was a "one-off". So no problem with the knighthood, then. And no government comment.

For me this is all about the double standards from the BBC, Alan Sugar slated Corbyn and mick lynch on TV several times and nothing was said Linaker posted a tweet and its all over the news if the BBC hadn't made such a fuss the majority of us wouldn't have seen what he tweeted as i imagine few here use twitter and those that do dont follow him.

Last edited:
Strange how different perceptions can be. He's always struck me as a decent, down-to-earth earth guy who's always had time for a chat on the rare occasions we've crossed paths. Not to mention he's one of the few that puts his money where his mouth is when he makes appeals for compassion.

I doubt he'll be losing much sleep over this. He has more money than he knows what to do with. Would you abandon your beliefs (whatever they may be) for a wee bit more?

I hope if he goes he does it all guns blazing and makes the BBC regret making such a big deal out of this.

Last edited:

What's the latest?​

If you're just joining us, fall-out from the Gary Lineker row is coming thick and fast, so here's a quick recap:
  • Football presenters have been pulling out of key BBC programmes in support of Lineker after he was told to "step back" from Match Of The Day
  • Football Focus has been replaced by Bargain Hunt on the BBC One schedule, shortly after presenter Alex Scott said it "doesn't feel right" to go ahead with the show
  • Final Score also disappeared from the BBC One list, with The Repair Shop now listed for 4:30pm after presenter Jason Mohammad also said he would not appear today
  • Presenter Colin Murray said BBC 5 Live's Fighting Talk was not airing today "for obvious reasons", which he said was "a decision taken by the entire FT team and myself"
  • Match Of The Day pundit Ian Wright has said he'll quit if the BBC "gets rid" of Lineker
  • Greg Dyke, a former director general of the BBC, said the corporation was "mistaken" to take Lineker off air
  • The BBC has not commented this morning, but yesterday it said it considered Lineker's tweets a breach of its guidelines and that he will remain off air until it gets "an agreed and clear position on his use of social media"

Big, last minute changes for Saturday's sports coverage​

BBC journalist Damian Grammaticas says pressure from other football pundits and commentators has "forced the BBC to completely change its schedule of sports coverage today" on the BBC's news channel.
He said Alex Scott, Kelly Somers, Glenn Murray and Jason Mohammed were among those who would not present today.
But the Match of the Day programme is still scheduled to go ahead, without presenters or pundits.

Radio 5 Live running pre-recorded content​

We have an update on the BBC's radio station, 5 Live, which would normally be covering today's football matches, including commentary and punditry.
A senior source said "5 Live's sports programmes are currently being impacted and we are running recorded content".
Earlier today, Fighting Talk presenter Colin Murray said the show was not airing on 5 Live "for obvious reasons".

BBC 'inconsistent' with guidelines - former TV news boss​

The BBC's former head of TV news and director of sport, Roger Mosey, has weighed in.
Writing on Twitter, he says Lineker's tweets "weren't compliant with editorial guidelines" and that impartiality is "vital".
However, he goes on to say the BBC has been "inconsistent" in how it has applied these guidelines, and this recent move looks as though it is taking "one side of the culture war".
He suggests the removal of BBC chairman Richard Sharp as a way forward.
There has been an ongoing controversy involving Sharp, and allegations he helped facilitate a loan to former PM Boris Johnson.
"He damages the BBC's credibility," Mosey writes.
"Ideally, Lineker should stay within clear, agreed guidelines.
"And the BBC should send out its executives to be interviewed and explain how they intend to resolve this crisis."

Last edited:

BBC mistaken to suspend Gary Lineker, ex-director general says

By Matt Murphy
BBC News

An ex-BBC head has said the broadcaster "undermined its own credibility" by taking Gary Lineker off air.
Greg Dyke's comments came as the BBC's weekend sport output unravelled, with staff mounting an impromptu boycott in support of Lineker.
He was suspended after criticising the government's language over its flagship asylum policy and has triggered an unprecedented row around impartiality.
It has left the BBC scrambling to get TV and radio football coverage on air.
Some programmes have already been cancelled and it is increasingly unclear how scheduled output will be able to go ahead given the scale of unrest among BBC Sport presenters and staff.
Mr Dyke, who acted as director general between 2000 and 2004 and was appointed by a Labour government, said: "There is a long established precedent in the BBC that if you are an entertainment presenter or a sports presenter then you are not bound by those same rules."
"The real problem today is that the BBC has undermined its own credibility by doing this," he told the BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

He added that the ongoing controversy surrounding BBC Chairman Richard Sharp and allegations that he helped facilitate a loan to former Prime Minster Boris Johnson had helped fuel perceptions that the organisation was failing to stand up to government pressure.
But Richard Ayre, former controller of editorial policy at the BBC, said on Friday that the corporation had "no choice" but to take action against Lineker.
He said the BBC's director general Tim Davie had "clearly tried" to reach an agreement with Lineker but failed, adding: "It's inevitable now that having in effect not sacked him but removed him temporarily at least, the BBC will now come under a torrent of criticism saying it's acting under the government's behest."
Mr Davie told BBC News he "absolutely respects people's right to make that decision" when asked about presenters pulling out of today's football coverage.
The BBC has not commented further on the row or cancellations, despite repeated requests from BBC News.
In a statement, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said "individual cases are a matter for the BBC," but Downing Street and senior ministers have been more vocally critical in recent days.
Home Secretary Suella Braverman and Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer have both attacked the presenter for implying a comparison between the government's language and Nazi Germany.
Ms Braverman said the Nazi comparison used by Lineker was "lazy and unhelpful".
The row began on Tuesday, when controversial plans were unveiled to ban people arriving in the UK illegally from ever claiming asylum.
The government says the tough measures are necessary to address a rise in the number of people crossing the Channel in small boats.

Lineker reacted to it on Twitter calling it an "immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s".
Senior Labour politicians have expressed support for Lineker. Shadow Foreign Secretary David Lammy wrote on social media that it was "chilling" to see "a great public broadcaster cowering to right wing fanatics".
"Our democracy is made of tougher stuff than this," he wrote, adding the BBC should "get a grip" and put Gary Lineker back on Match of the Day "where he belongs".
Lineker has hosted Match of the Day since 1999 and is the BBC's highest paid star, having earned about £1.35m in 2020-21. He is employed by the BBC on a freelance basis.
BBC employees are expected to be remain impartial on political matters and must follow strict social media guidelines, but there is significant debate about how they should apply to staff outside of news.
In the statement announcing he would not be presenting MOTD, the BBC said: "When it comes to leading our football and sports coverage, Gary is second to none.
"We have never said that Gary should be an opinion free zone, or that he can't have a view on issues that matter to him, but we have said that he should keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies."

Lineker has not yet publicly commented on the latest developments, but while presenting on Channel 5 on Friday, former BBC presenter Dan Walker read out a text live on air from the 62-year-old.
Walker said he had messaged Lineker asking: "What is happening. Are you stepping back?"
He said he had received a reply saying: "No, they've [the BBC] told me I have to step back."
BBC News has been told that the Match of the Day production team were not told in advance about its decision.
The growing boycott forced the BBC to issue a statement on Friday saying the highlights programme would air "without studio presentation or punditry" and instead "focus on match action".
Meanwhile, the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) has confirmed that players and managers from the 12 Premier League clubs playing matches on Saturday will not receive requests for MOTD post-match interviews.

'They got this one badly wrong and now they’re very, very exposed' - Starmer on BBC​

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has weighed in on the Lineker row.
“It is not impartial for BBC to cave in to Tory MPs complaining about Gary Lineker, it’s the opposite of impartial,” he said, while at the Welsh Labour conference in Llandundo.
“They got this one badly wrong and now they’re very, very exposed.”
Starmer said the crux of the issue was that the government had failed with their asylum system and was looking to blame others.
"What they should be doing is standing up, accepting they've broken the asylum system, and telling us what they're going to do to actually fix it, not whingeing on about Gary Lineker."
In a statement on Friday, responding to the decision to take Lineker off air, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said: "Individual cases are a matter for the BBC."

What do you think about the Lineker row?​

We're hearing different responses from people across the UK to the BBC's decision to suspend Lineker.
Barbara, a retired magistrate says she expects better from the BBC: "If you care about your licence fee payers, stop bowing to the agenda of the Mail and Express".
She said she believed BBC had a "proud heritage" but had to encourage different voices.
Margaret got in touch to say she was "greatly disturbed" by what she said appeared to be "potential government pressure on BBC bosses".
However, others have said they don't believe it's the place of television presenters to tweet about politics.
David said Lineker's opinions came from "a very privileged position" and said he believed he was "out of touch" with the public.

BBC 'sorry' for 'limited weekend sports programming'​

The BBC has apologised for what it says will be "limited sport programming this weekend".
It says its schedules will be updated to reflect this.
In a statement the corporation says: “We are sorry for these changes which we recognise will be disappointing for BBC sport fans.
"We are working hard to resolve the situation and hope to do so soon.”

Back