20mph Wales: Some roads to revert to 30mph after backlash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd ban home working. Unless your business is actually from home.
Or give people like myself who can't operate a 100m long machine and a bank of computers from home,some of those hours during which the home workers disappear off the "face of the earth"☆
☆anagram for Sainsburys

My wife works from home 2 days a week, she's the only person I know who misses lunch when working from home because she's non stop, I swear she's unique. Me, i'd watch homes under the hammer till 10, get a cup of tea, mosey round the garden, have a snack, another cup of tea, lunch etc etc.

I work from home some days a week and sick of the accusations of being lazy i log hours exactly the same way and conduct meetings over teams, JRM started this mantra when we was in government - he demanded DoE staff all go into the office they were ques outside the offices and people set up in corridors etc to prove the point many workers have been working from home for part of the week for years where they can, yes not all jobs can do this and that is not going to change my previous roles I was front facing so had to be there. BUT home working does not mean an easy time, I too skip lunch if busy, that is the norm.
Sadly the work still needs doing and you have dress professionally as on cam most of the day

I suspect if you don't work on a gravy train this works.
It's bordering on the ridiculous sometimes.."key" staff missing for weeks, can't come in "coz they've bought a dog",out walking the dog,don't know when they'll be back,can't provide an answer as out picking strawberries ...

I suspect if you don't work on a gravy train this works.
It's bordering on the ridiculous sometimes.."key" staff missing for weeks, can't come in "coz they've bought a dog",out walking the dog,don't know when they'll be back,can't provide an answer as out picking strawberries ...
well I can say my team does not operate like this we have regular meetings and expected to be honest about hours worked.

My work ethic has not changed my commuting costs not so much either as i run my other half to her work before i log in

I've had many shifts where things aren't right or broken and zero input or help,I gave up giving a xxxx a long time ago as it's way above my pay grade .

well I can say my team does not operate like this we have regular meetings and expected to be honest about hours worked.

My work ethic has not changed my commuting costs not so much either as i run my other half to her work before i log in
Work ethic is the key point. I know loads of people who feel they are more productive working from home. The problem most face is switching off, they work past normal hours.
Unfortunately working from home is also a lazy man's dream. If he's lazy onsite he's definitely ripping the bag out of it working at home.

I like the 20 limit.
They do need to reconsider some roads. Some are obviously not walked on or are big enough or with very little foot traffic they they should revert to 30.

I was unlucky, my driving test was in the 17/09, the day after it was introduced. So I had learnt to get to 30, then had the rug pulled out lol. MY instructer doesn't believe in the 20 limit so didn't teach me to that speed. So I had to adjust for the test. (No pressure, they were ignoring it for the first few weeks unless an obvious sign was seen).

Also it's more concerning when Labour Wales manifesto is to discourage people from using their cars.
I don’t have a problem with that either. There are way too many cars on the roads already and we rely on them too much. Cars are noisy and dangerous and many of the people who drive them are selfish and inconsiderate. If planners and politicians could get their heads together to find a way of convincing people to rely less on cars it would be a good thing, and much better for other types of road users.

There are way too many cars on the roads already

How many is way too many?

According to the stats below only 24% of U.K drivers drive every day and I can imagine a huge % of those only drive to work then park up.

The roads round here are fairly quiet once rush hour is over.

YouGov Profiles reveals that the vast majority of drivers (80%) use their cars at least two days each week. However, nearly one in four drivers (24%) say they drive a car every single day, equivalent to around one in six (18%) of all adults including those who do not drive.

Well the rose tinted idea of everyone using public transport,that doesn't go where you want when you want,or pedalling round in the pi55ing down rain at 6am in the winter coming off a 12 hour night shift isn't anything I shall be partaking in. I shall be booting it home I my car.

When I did shift work 15 mins to get to work or back via car. When I went back to same place at office hours 25-60 mins.
vs 0 mins homeworking and there was no loss of service or productivity for my job all done from home during covid. Govt want all workers back in the office, what a stupid idea along with 20 blanket ban, add in co2 emissions its all a random mess of incoherent policies.

let those who can be proven to WFH with no loss of performance or service do so. Freeing up the roads for those that have to get into work. reductions in co2 as well, why isn't this a win,win,win situation?

I have made it quite clear I'm only prepared to do one day a week in the office out of my 3 a week max if there's a valid reason for doing so. Unnecessary commuting is a waste of resources. Public transport is only usually an option if you and your job are located in a built up area. My last non-govt job I was able to cycle in the whole way on a cycle path with secure bike racks and good showers, sometimes I'd take the train and sometimes the car. 1 or 2 a week commutes there and back were by car. Current job 90 mins public transport up to 60 by car 40 by bike but too dangerous having to cycle a safer route would be about 90 mins and **** showers.

That's the reality of the end of my career transport options.

I do feel for delivery drivers if roads become less congested in a strange way I'd imagine their bosses would cram in even more drops.

How many is way too many?

According to the stats below only 24% of U.K drivers drive every day and I can imagine a huge % of those only drive to work then park up.

The roads round here are fairly quiet once rush hour is over.
How do you quantify how much is too much of anything? Too much crime, too much disease, too much wet weather? Walk around any town and you’ll see cars parked all over pavements forcing pedestrians to walk in the road. Traffic jams which are caused by too many motor vehicles. @1600 people a year killed in traffic accidents. Many different reports have been issued about health problems related to motor vehicles. All ‘too many’.

Well the rose tinted idea of everyone using public transport,that doesn't go where you want when you want,or pedalling round in the pi55ing down rain at 6am in the winter coming off a 12 hour night shift isn't anything I shall be partaking in. I shall be booting it home I my car.
Well that’s why I said that politicians and planners need to get together to at least give people the option. Where I live the buses stop about 1800, the nearest railway station is about 4 miles away and cycling is very hazardous because of the self importance and entitlement of some motorists, so if I want to go anywhere in the evening I have to drive.

Walk around any town and you’ll see cars parked all over pavements forcing pedestrians to walk in the road. Traffic jams which are caused by too many motor vehicles. @1600 people a year killed in traffic accidents.
Bad parking is down to inconsiderate car owners not too many cars you can park on the pavement and leave plenty of room for prams etc i am sure many of us do this.

As for traffic jams they are a licence but we are not all satin them every time we leave the house.

I notice you gabent addressed any of the facts in posted only 25 percent of all UK car drivers use their car every day and I bet a huge majority of those are commuting a short journey so are not blocking the roads and casing jams.

The main problem with our roads is the amount of trucks and vans that are forced to use them as there is no other option, sending goods by rail is something we haven't done for many years as it dowsnt work under the present system.

When I did shift work 15 mins to get to work or back via car. When I went back to same place at office hours 25-60 mins.
vs 0 mins homeworking and there was no loss of service or productivity for my job all done from home during covid. Govt want all workers back in the office, what a stupid idea along with 20 blanket ban, add in co2 emissions its all a random mess of incoherent policies.

let those who can be proven to WFH with no loss of performance or service do so. Freeing up the roads for those that have to get into work. reductions in co2 as well, why isn't this a win,win,win situation?

I have made it quite clear I'm only prepared to do one day a week in the office out of my 3 a week max if there's a valid reason for doing so. Unnecessary commuting is a waste of resources. Public transport is only usually an option if you and your job are located in a built up area. My last non-govt job I was able to cycle in the whole way on a cycle path with secure bike racks and good showers, sometimes I'd take the train and sometimes the car. 1 or 2 a week commutes there and back were by car. Current job 90 mins public transport up to 60 by car 40 by bike but too dangerous having to cycle a safer route would be about 90 mins and **** showers.

That's the reality of the end of my career transport options.

I do feel for delivery drivers if roads become less congested in a strange way I'd imagine their bosses would cram in even more drops.
Totally agree i work for govt and like yourself I attend local office 1 day a week and national office once a month.

There needs to be a grown up conversation about WFH and how it actually benefits the country not the other way round. As said only a percentage can work from home, but this does not mean it should be demomised

WFH actually benifits many people. My wife has WFH for over 15 years and it has allowed her to progress professionally and pick up caring responsibilities of her aging father without compromising anyone. It has meant she can keep working and keep caring.
Roads are too busy, but without better public transport this isn't going away.
The 20 mph in wales will help with less serious injuries as less people will be badly injured in accidents. If WFH was actively encouraged, it would reduce traffic, especially at rush hour, allow more space o busy public transport for those who need it, and it would men quieter roads for delivery vans.

Lot of moaning about the 20 mph limit but in Wales no action is taken unless you're over 25 mph. So it's only a 5 mph drop from 30. Big deal. Took me a while to get used to it but I don't mind it now though I too get annoyed that they start many of the 20 limit areas so far out from the actual villages. Should be at the first house, not 200m before the first house considering you're meant to be doing the limit exactly at the point of the sign.
Couple of villages near me on a commuter route have solved the issue by removing all the 20 mph signs completely, including all the little ones.

Latest posts

Back