Help with a new Co2 keg set up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hallow lads n lasses,
I hope you all having a great weekend.
Off the bat, if you know me 9 time out of 10 with my wonky brain i allway ask for help as i stuggle with numbers and confusing.
Im looking at replasing my co2 gas line from hard piping to soft line.
IMG_9450.jpg
Keeping the 3/8th (just checked the fraction is 3/8th 🧠) splitter and stopper-using the blinkmann beer gun lata on.
3 8th splitter with stopper.jpg
Already hole cut outise in inside.
IMG_9452.jpg
IMG_9453.jpg
heres a 3 keg set up, the options will vary as you know with large and small kegs.
IMG_9454.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9449.jpg
    IMG_9449.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9451.jpg
    IMG_9451.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
Now theres hundred of manifold on the net like theres
IMG_9457.PNG
IMG_9458.jpg

But i want a visual and gauge set up so i look at these.
IMG_9459.jpg
into this
IMG_9465.jpg
Am i on the right pass here?
i reckon only 3 kegs at a time, so maybe get three whats it chops and the fittings!!?
IMG_9466.PNG
heres what may change! barrr hours on editing pics lol
my change.jpg
Does this look feisable?? (sorry bad spelling)
Thinking bottom three one way valve jobbys then slicocone hose to the kegs with RED disconectsdBREW LADDO.jpg

If this look right? as i could mount then on a small board and mount inside (not permentant )
might be difficult to adjust gauses whilst in fitted, hence not permenant, i could set gauges outside and then secure inside and ive one one hose to attach.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
as i got bout 8 o these coming, maybe way ahead is external board, (better to view and adjust)
Screenshot (404).jpg
only thing we this is iether one hole or three seperate to drill..
IMG_9469.jpg

Morning all,
rested 🧠😆🤣
now this numbers and fractions (3/8th 5/16th blah blah blah ) always got me confused.
what’s throwing me is the two way splitter is 3/8th, but them secondary regs are 5/16th
can anyone explain as my blinkers on n getting confused?
atm obv it on hold! but i can get the Red duotight gas disconnects
if i go the external route it’ll be 4 regs (last one is the Blinkmann beer gun.
pro n cons
pro for external
easy to see n set up (if i get it right looks good)
con. the drill hole saga!
mind three lines in one hole and silicone sealant maybe ?
i’m looking at pricing!!
ali express comes in at bout £7.50 each (regs) i’ll look at on pc in a mo, found Uk , cheapest was £15 each.
T piece n eblow are cheap.
gas line silicone i want (of fathom out this 3/8 & 5/16th thing) get nuff length
off to research before my 🧠 turns into mush again
Bri

Trying to get an understanding of what you're trying to achieve here.

I think you want:
1. More flexible gas/beer line
2. Each keg to have its own regulator
3. Each keg to have its own shut off via a manifold

Is that right?

Just to tackle your first item, I see you mentioned "silicone 3/8th hose" - gas/beer line should not be silicone. It will not simply not take the pressure and is not safe. 3/8" beer line is stiff because it is strong enough to take a lot of pressure.
Much more flexible is 3/16" beer line, which works for gas and beer, but you need stem adapters on your disconnects, but if you buy good quality beer line (i.e. valpar/micromatic) and clean it occasionally it'll last years (in my experience).

5/16" line seems to be something that only kegland uses. It's a bit more flexible than 3/8" but nowhere near as flexible as 3/16".

To tackle your 2nd and 3rd problems there is another option, and that is to buy some pub grade secondary regulators. You can pick them up off ebay 2nd hand rebuilt for not much more than the kegland regulators, for example, there's £50 for 2 here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305303121611

Also look at Norm's shop on ebay, he's been selling refurbished pro stuff to homebrewers for more than a decade: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/normannumpa

Although they're more expensive, these regulators mean you then don't need to buy a manifold as they can be chained together, and all have their individual shut off valves.

67000-943B3ECF-A6F9-4EDC-819A-30B3DD5B11A4.jpeg

What might be of interest is that London Amateur Brewers have an online meeting tonight and the subject is building a keezer: https://londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/event/lab-april-2024-online-meeting/
You will need to message/email to get the password.

Otherwise fire away with any questions.

I think you want:

Is that right?

Just to tackle your first item, I see you mentioned "silicone 3/8th hose" - gas/beer line should not be silicone. It will not simply not take the pressure and is not safe. 3/8" beer line is stiff because it is strong enough to take a lot of pressure.
Much more flexible is 3/16" beer line, which works for gas and beer, but you need stem adapters on your disconnects, but if you buy good quality beer line (i.e. valpar/micromatic) and clean it occasionally it'll last years (in my experience).

5/16" line seems to be something that only kegland uses. It's a bit more flexible than 3/8" but nowhere near as flexible as 3/16".

To tackle your 2nd and 3rd problems there is another option, and that is to buy some pub grade secondary regulators. You can pick them up off ebay 2nd hand rebuilt for not much more than the kegland regulators, for example, there's £50 for 2 here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305303121611

Also look at Norm's shop on ebay, he's been selling refurbished pro stuff to homebrewers for more than a decade: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/normannumpa

Although they're more expensive, these regulators mean you then don't need to buy a manifold as they can be chained together, and all have their individual shut off valves.

What might be of interest is that London Amateur Brewers have an online meeting tonight and the subject is building a keezer: https://londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/event/lab-april-2024-online-meeting/

😀BLUMMING HECK!!! THATS A CRACKER SET UP PAL.
Thanks so much my m8, i had to do a bit of 'SELF HELP!' To irion out my wonky brain.
my conclusion we all this struggling with numbers (fractions)
Bare with me lol, I CHOOSE to addapt a 3/8th gas line (due the reg to splitter) ALSO CHOOSE 3/8th disconnect.
Now looking at them inline secondary regs (5/16th)
after hours playing think i got my answer???
what you think?

Obv. ill need new length o silicone line to the board, and 5/16th line to the 3 kegs.
optional be one way valve whatsitchops at the bottle (think i got then from a FAILED ONLINE SHOPPING MISSIONasad.)

I think you want:

Is that right?

i get you what your saying, thx m8, but why kegland from the reply '5/16" line seems to be something that only kegland uses.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
SURELY IF 5/16TH ISNT FIT for the purpose they tell us and make a 3/8th setup.
like chineese writing..... i dont get it. one of the biggest inovators surely they cant wrong!!

I got the beer line setup sussed. 3/16th lineathumb..

me likes pal that is an option i like.

Spent a great time at weekend down London (O2 arena).
Screenshot (36).jpg

That would work. The one negative in that setup is that to shut gas off to individual kegs you either have to adjust the regulator to zero, or remove the disconnect from the keg. To minimise the damage caused by unexpected leaks (of gas or beer) I tend to shut everything off when not pouring, or if I'm carbonating a keg I only leave that one turned on.

You can get around that by taking the gas disconnect off the keg when not in use, but it's nice to be able to shut things off without having to open up your kegerator/keezer.

Obv. ill need new length o silicone line to the board, and 5/16th line to the 3 kegs.
optional be one way valve whatsitchops at the bottle (think i got then from a FAILED ONLINE SHOPPING MISSIONasad.)

I stopped using the one way valves on my system because they sounded like trumpets! I put one in place if I'm doing something like attaching gas to the liquid side of a keg to try and unblock a poppet/dip tube.

i get you what your saying, thx m8, but why kegland from the reply '5/16" line seems to be something that only kegland uses.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
SURELY IF 5/16TH ISNT FIT for the purpose they tell us and make a 3/8th setup.
like chineese writing..... i dont get it. one of the biggest inovators surely they cant wrong!!

5/16" is fine to use, it's just that in the UK pubs and bars generally use 3/8" so it's easier to find regulators etc for that size.

CANNY PRICE JUST FOR A ONE WAY VALVE! nearly spat out my cuppa when you said like a trumpet:laugh8:
mint knowledge im getting my m8, really appreciate it, never to old to learn lol. 40 years homebrewing but im relearning as you may know lost my memory.
woulnt mind pal i used to run 3 bars & the celler and bar set up etc i maintained etc. but alas some memories need to get in my heed lol:laugh8:

That would work. The one negative in that setup is that to shut gas off to individual kegs you either have to adjust the regulator to zero, or remove the disconnect from the keg. To minimise the damage caused by unexpected leaks (of gas or beer) I tend to shut everything off when not pouring, or if I'm carbonating a keg I only leave that one turned on.

You can get around that by taking the gas disconnect off the keg when not in use, but it's nice to be able to shut things off without having to open up your kegerator/keezer.
good skill m8.
i always dis connect the kegs after use m8. never had a gas leak, but its sod law isnt!
TBH no big sakes isolating the induvidial kegs as well m8.
ITS COMING BACK, BITS N BOBS I FORGOT. NICE ONE.
bRI

Hi this might help, photos of my gas line set up, with a primary and linked regulator at the CO2 bottle, that links to a manifold for the carbonators and onto the kegerator and canning lines - also shown. I've included my planning diagram as well.
Brew piping.drawio.png

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

morning.
a bit of a LUL in batttle!
waiting for parts!
last night i looked up the co2 to each keg (12 psi) temp around 10c)
two small kegking 10l & one 19l corni.
the pour wasn’t great.
all three lost head and devo under carb’d.
when i get up to pc i’ll sort out my beer dispenser line to tap!
for you to look at!
i’ve got one beer line (i used with fixed tap and the mobile one.
think a way ahead without jumping to any conclusions is ACTUALLY WAIT if the new set up and see if TANK ON & feed to all three at serving psi,
And see what’s the crack!
also i want to replace the 19l corni O rings etc. in my two (got another 3 to come)
get the GAS side sussed at least then know!
for all you know IT COULD BE MY BEER LINE SET UP? 🧠🤔
let you see what serving side is all about 🤦‍♂️😂🤣🫡
let’s face it i’m in good hands for advice and way ahead!
ballance both lines and the size o line n length o hose it bit clouded 🧠🤦‍♂️
as you’ll see atm not fixed taps but only one “Party tap’
wouldn’t say it the best but better than one o them small flimsy taps, you know what i mean 😂
like these
IMG_9482.jpeg
i’ll take pics and wait for your verdict 🫡🤗

like i said until last 6 months the co2 side as far as serving from a keg was was beer gun to bottle! and tbh still wasn’t happy lol
here in set up i had for fixed tap on an old build.
IMG_9483.jpeg
IMG_9484.jpeg
then the “party tap i use now.
IMG_9485.jpeg
IMG_9486.jpeg
see what you think 🤔 & advice!
should get parts come lata on today and next few day.
Bri

Latest posts

Back