Corny Keg set-up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbym

Reaction score
Hi
Recently set up my first corny Keg in an under counter fridge with the faucet approx 1.5m - 2m away from the keg. I use a soda stream CO2 bottle
I carbonated the beer for two weeks at 12psi, reduced the pressure to serving pressure of 6psi for 24 Hours, I've tried pulling pints so far all I get is froth(twenty pints so far).
Things I've tried:
Increased pressure of CO2
Reduced pressure of CO2
Left for 24 hours at higher pressure before trying again
Stripped hoses to ensure no debris in line
Removed outlet pipe from corny to check it was clear.
Reduced pressure to 2 psi still getting froth.
Fluid Flow rate is high so throttled it on faucet regulator still get froth.

Any help would be appreciated

Webby

Something about this is looking very wrong. Am I being a numpty?
C064E6A3-2407-47E6-9494-82E2AD6A31E5.png

3/16 hose is 0.1875, I’ve estimated vertical distance but probably under estimated a little, a pint fills in 30secs (which is what my beer currently pours) and beer finished at 1.009. I currently have just under 2M of line and could probably get away with cutting it shorter. There’s not a chance in hell I need 50ft of beer line!

Edit - don’t change the pints per second from 10 and it works ok, but still too long - says 8ft when I have more like 6.

Last edited:
Something about this is looking very wrong. Am I being a numpty?
View attachment 31816

3/16 hose is 0.1875, I’ve estimated vertical distance but probably under estimated a little, a pint fills in 30secs (which is what my beer currently pours) and beer finished at 1.009. I currently have just under 2M of line and could probably get away with cutting it shorter. There’s not a chance in hell I need 50ft of beer line!

Edit - don’t change the pints per second from 10 and it works ok, but still too long - says 8ft when I have more like 6.
Just looked at this, says I'd need 98 ft of hose. The garage isn't big enough for that 😂

It works when you put your target time for a pint pour. 30 seconds is a very long time for a pour if your line is only 6ft.

"plug in the parameters for the beer you'd like to serve, and it'll spit out a hose length for the perfect pour!"

Last edited:
Hi
Recently set up my first corny Keg in an under counter fridge with the faucet approx 1.5m - 2m away from the keg. I use a soda stream CO2 bottle
I carbonated the beer for two weeks at 12psi, reduced the pressure to serving pressure of 6psi for 24 Hours, I've tried pulling pints so far all I get is froth(twenty pints so far).
Things I've tried:
Increased pressure of CO2
Reduced pressure of CO2
Left for 24 hours at higher pressure before trying again
Stripped hoses to ensure no debris in line
Removed outlet pipe from corny to check it was clear.
Reduced pressure to 2 psi still getting froth.
Fluid Flow rate is high so throttled it on faucet regulator still get froth.

Any help would be appreciated

Webby

What temperature is that beer at approximately? Any fluctuations in temperature at all? I had a significant issue with foam when we had a heatwave in April (despite it being on a fridge). I would maybe check all of your corny o-rings to rule out air ingress. Apart from that, it seems like you've troubleshooted everything else.

EDIT - Just noticed you said you're using 3/8 line. You need a hell of a lot of it to restrict the flow enough to prevent you getting pints of foam.

My advice would be to ditch the 3/8 line and get 3/16 line and two stem 3/8-3/16 reducers.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with 3/8 line, I have since swapped to 3/16 line and get perfect pints. I only use enough to get from the keg to the tap with a bit of slack so that I can place the keys in the floor when connecting disconnects etc, probably about 1 metre in length

Hi, I don't mean to hijack your thread but someone might be able to advise me on this set up as I'm looking into getting one. I already have a 10 litre keg, so what would be the best set up for a mobile beer keg. How does this system work without frothing up. It has no beer line to reduce the frothing
Screenshot_20200830_184058_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

I had the same problem with 3/8 line, I have since swapped to 3/16 line and get perfect pints. I only use enough to get from the keg to the tap with a bit of slack so that I can place the keys in the floor when connecting disconnects etc, probably about 1 metre in length
I reckon I’ll probably get away with about a metre on keg 2. Unfortunately the first beer I kegged was a witbier so had higher carb levels so it’s hard to tell, and keg 2 is a bitter that I plan to have at about 2-5psi so I’ve just used the length of 3/8 I have for closed transfers.

Hi, I don't mean to hijack your thread but someone might be able to advise me on this set up as I'm looking into getting one. I already have a 10 litre keg, so what would be the best set up for a mobile beer keg. How does this system work without frothing up. It has no beer line to reduce the frothing View attachment 31829
I had a 10L minikeg sodastream setup for about a month before I decided to make the leap to Corny kegs. If you reduce the pressure and set at 2PSI for serving, then back up to storing pressure at the end of each session it’ll be fine.

Back