Zombie knife ban

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As the brother of a lad murdered using a knife said its a waste of time the people who carry these will switch to big kitchen knives it will not stop knife crime.

Well exactly, unless they ban all knives, which will make cooking dinner a bit tricky, if criminals want to arm themselves they will use whatever they can get hold of. I'm sure I could make a proper mess of someone with my chef's knife but I'm not going to do that as I don't feel the need to be a murderer.

Also, I'm sure there are legitimate uses for machetes, my Dad had one for hacking down brambles and stuff.

It's kind of staggering when you look at the definition of 'zombie knives' under the ban: 'any blade over eight inches with a pointed end' so that's the vast majority of comprehensive kitchen knife blocks prohibited now.

Many years ago I collected swords, knives, axes etc (all responsibly sold/given away now).
At one point I think I had in excess of 60 swords and a couple of hundred knives, the vast majority were 'display only' but a great deal were intended for practical use (camping/hiking/martial arts etc).

Of the myriad uses for a knife, I think I pretty much covered them all, with the exception of using them in violence. Owning bladed articles didn't magically turn me into a raving psychopath with a penchant for stabbing. I despise violence and always have.

The issue is people choosing to act in a violent manner, banning knives only hurts those who would use them for legitimate reasons, criminals will always get their hands on things they aren't supposed to have.

Why those in power can't simply join the dots, punish the perpetrator of the act rather than anyone who could potentially perpetrate an act, in other words use common sense, is quite beyond me.

All knives (except kitchen knives) should be banned and like firearms only sold if the buyer can prove the need due to their occupation.
My son in law’s nephew was stabbed and died in London.

It's kind of staggering when you look at the definition of 'zombie knives' under the ban: 'any blade over eight inches with a pointed end' so that's the vast majority of comprehensive kitchen knife blocks prohibited now.

Many years ago I collected swords, knives, axes etc (all responsibly sold/given away now).
At one point I think I had in excess of 60 swords and a couple of hundred knives, the vast majority were 'display only' but a great deal were intended for practical use (camping/hiking/martial arts etc).

Of the myriad uses for a knife, I think I pretty much covered them all, with the exception of using them in violence. Owning bladed articles didn't magically turn me into a raving psychopath with a penchant for stabbing. I despise violence and always have.

The issue is people choosing to act in a violent manner, banning knives only hurts those who would use them for legitimate reasons, criminals will always get their hands on things they aren't supposed to have.

Why those in power can't simply join the dots, punish the perpetrator of the act rather than anyone who could potentially perpetrate an act, in other words use common sense, is quite beyond me.
That’s the same argument the Americans use to justify firearms. Guns in the UK were banned for good reasons and that has significantly reduced gun deaths, banning these knives will do the same.

That’s the same argument the Americans use to justify firearms. Guns in the UK were banned for good reasons and that has significantly reduced gun deaths, banning these knives will do the same.
It's not quite the same principle though is it?

A cutting/stabbing weapon can be fashioned out of an almost inexhaustible amount of everyday items, some of the prison improvisations are a fascinating example of ingenuity, if rather sinister

Someone can go outside, pick up a chunk of flint, split it in half and voila, a potentially deadly cutting weapon.
Guns can't be improvised in such a manner.

At the end of the day, knives don't kill people, people kill people.

At the end of the day, knives don't kill people, people kill people.
Spot on, banning these knives will not stop people being stabbed by the idiots that carry them as a status symbol they will find something else, remember back in the bad old days of football hooligans the Stanley knife was the weapon of choice back then the aim was to maim not kill.

Latest posts

Back