youngs yeast - any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loverlovell-08

Reaction score
Hiya guys, just had bought for me a packet of youngs lager yeast, but I'm not sure of how good it is, does anyone have any experience with this yeast? Also does anyone know of a good hop for aroma in lagers? I currently have northern brewer but want to add a little something extra next time!

Any help appreciated! Alex
:drink:

loverlovell-08 said:
Hiya guys, just had bought for me a packet of youngs lager yeast, but I'm not sure of how good it is, does anyone have any experience with this yeast? Also does anyone know of a good hop for aroma in lagers? I currently have northern brewer but want to add a little something extra next time!

Any help appreciated! Alex
:drink:

any of the German or Continental Noble hops would be ideal as aroma hops in a lager

Northern brewer should make an adequate bittering (kettle) hop , I personally like the Saaz, and Hallertauer hops best for Pilsner type lagers.

There are also several US and New Zealand hops that make wonderful lager hops as well, it depends upon what you can get ahold of, and what you want your beer to be.

Thanks MCollins, what type of american hops are there for aroma? I can get hold of most through the internet since I have no LHBS (damn those expenisve delivery charges!) I've heard of cascade hops - are these for aroma?

loverlovell-08 said:
Thanks MCollins, what type of american hops are there for aroma? I can get hold of most through the internet since I have no LHBS (damn those expenisve delivery charges!) I've heard of cascade hops - are these for aroma?

Have a read: http://brewery.org/library/Hopprofs0497.html

That may make your mind up, if not you can do a search on hop profiles.

UP

unclepumble said:
loverlovell-08 said:

Have a read: http://brewery.org/library/Hopprofs0497.html

That may make your mind up, if not you can do a search on hop profiles.

UP

here is another resource for researching hops
http://www.hopunion.com/hvcb/

Some varieties that come to mind are Crystal, Mt Hood, Sterling, or US Hallertauer, but for a traditional European Lager, you can't go wrong with tany of the German or Czech Noble varieties.

I wouldn't use Cascade as an aroma hop in a lager type beer, it is usually best used in American Style Pale Ales.

I would think that in Europe it would be easier to obtain European hops varieties.

cheers guys really helped alot! just got my second extract brew on the boil now! :) thanks again, will be using tettnanger perhaps for my next lager! :)

alex

I have a kolsch brew conditioning with tettnang and hellsbrucker - a really early taste was amazing -would reccomend using these hops :cool:

Back