Youngs pressure barrel problem!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought a Youngs pressure barrel and have kegged my 1st brew tonight. However when pressurising it with a sparklet the tap started leaking where it was screwed in having screwed it in more its stopped but the tap has a slow drip at this rate I'll have more on the floor than supped. I de-pressurised the barrel and that's helped but I cant find the receipt and its a 30 mile round trip anyway to return the thing and I don't want to lose my 1st beer brew!

I'm seething at the moment I've got to work tomorrow so it would be Sunday at earliest before I could get another tap and even then I don't know what I'd do with the brew as transferring it back to the FV would surely oxidise it!

Any tips as to what I should do?

Did you lube up the treads and also it needs to be in really tight also forget those rubbish taps use a dalex one i think they are called ask on chat if you want

Tip the barrel over undo the tap and fit a new tap then tip it right the right way up then left the yeast settle out again
:grin: :grin:

I use these barrels mate, the taps always need a slight tighten before first use. Usually if it weeps from round the tap washer it is either a loose tap or it's over primed. Did you prime it with sugar and add gas? Had a friend do this recently, i then got a call to say it was leaking :shock:
As it's new i'm sure the tap washer will be ok, i'd re check the tap to make sure it's not too loose or too tight (the same as the lids, you get a feel for it after a while) then wipe it down and keep an eye on it, the drop in pressure should stop it. Failing that tip it up and take the tap out and try putting some ptfe tape round the thread. seal it up again add some gas and check for leaks
:cheers:

Its dripping from the tap itself rather than the thread, I reckon the valve is faulty. Is the tap affected by the tightness of the thread?

Try opening the tap a little? I've got a couple and they pour best when the tap isn't completely open, maybe you're having the reverse problem; that it's not lined up properly inside when the tap's swung all the way to the closed position, letting a bit of liquid through.

Stuff some tin foil in the hole then wrap the whole tap in cling film to try and stop the loss and stop oxygen getting in until you can get a new tap?

If it's the tap dripping, it does this if you push the lever all the way in the off direction. Off is actually at 90 degrees to the valve body. If push it beyond 90 degrees in the close direction you actually start to open up the valve slightly in the reverse direction and it can drip. Made worse of your barrels under excessive pressure (ie the base is bulged out). If that's the case run of a pint as a "sample" and carefully close the valve till the levers at 90 degrees.

Thanks everyone, I've found the problem there is a hairline crack in the tap. So Its buggered! It would cost me more to take the barrel back than it would to get a replacement tap.

I've emailed Youngs in the hope that they will send me a replacement tap. In the meantime I've found the angle of tap which drips the least but having primed the beer I keep having to release the pressure, can you re-prime beer to carbonate it or would that completely stuff up the taste?

Jeltz said:
Thanks everyone, I've found the problem there is a hairline crack in the tap. So Its buggered! It would cost me more to take the barrel back than it would to get a replacement tap.

I've emailed Youngs in the hope that they will send me a replacement tap. In the meantime I've found the angle of tap which drips the least but having primed the beer I keep having to release the pressure, can you re-prime beer to carbonate it or would that completely stuff up the taste?

Glad you found the cause .... yep you can re prime ... 80 grams of sugar in a little boiled water and let cool will be fine...

Youngs have replied to my Email.

Problems occur, that's life, its how a company deals with them when the do happen that counts! I must say I applaud their customer service, not only are they sending a new tap but also replacing the beer kit too, really you can't say fairer than that.

Well done Youngs :thumb:

Here is their reply:-
Code:
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your mail.

It is always difficult to give specific advice with a problem like this
without seeing things for ourselves.

We do not manufacture barrels but supply to the retail trade on a
wholesale basis.

Unfortunately, when problems occur with barrels it becomes a load of
hassle for the brewer because inevitably you have beer inside. So we do
appreciate your situation. If you can fit a new tap it should be