YeastFace Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewday was fine and fairly relaxed. I sorted out the water and salts last night which always helps.

1000077494.jpg
Mashed in

Mash pH came out at 5.6. Target was 5.45. Despite testing my water and adjusting in Brewfather, I can never get this quite right and always need to add an additional bit of lactic acid.

Pre-boil gravity was 2 points down, but I had 0.5l extra runnings.

1000077507.jpg

A whopping 15g of Northdown really testing the capacity of the hop spider.

To account for the slight loss of gravity and additional wort I boiled more vigorously than usual for the first half hour. All ended well and and hit target post-boil gravity.

1000077516.jpg

Looks copper but should be red once fermented.

This in in the ferm fridge at 19°. Pitched White Labs WLP004, which I'll repitch into next brew (a stout).

Have a dedicated nitro tap now and am toying with doing half and half Co² and mixed gas, as I think it would be interesting to do a side-by-side. Likely thoughthis will just be carbonated, and will leave the mixed gas for the stout; which shouldn't be too far behind.

I'm off the drink for at least the next 3 weeks (and possibly 5), so hopefully I'll have both ready for sampling once that's over.

Brewed an Extra Stout yesterday. Was quite pleased with my last attempt, although that was a bit of a user-upper and was possibly fermented slightly too warm.

Grist was Golden Promise, Flaked Barley, Pale Chocolate, Chocolate, and Roast Barley.

I stupidly missed a 0 off the Roast Barley in my recipe builder on TMM, but the additional 260g bag turned up in time.

I added half the roast barley during the mash, and the other at mash out. I didn't update Brewfather and this decision meant I was a bit higher on Mash pH, so had to add some additional lactic during the mash.

Hops were Northdown at FWH, and EKG at 15 mins.

Ended up with more wort, but missed my OG by 4 points. I've got my process on full batches down to a tee, but always struggle withe reduced size batches. Think I'll have to check my notes and adjust my equipment profile.

Collected some WLP004 Irish Ale yeast from the conical prior to kegging my Red, and added this to a vitality starter and pitched to wort at 19.5°.

All being well, this will end up around 5.5% and will be going on mixed gas.

Latest posts

Back