Yeast slurry as veg firtilizer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using trub, yeast waste etc as a firtilizer?

Reading up on it, seems to lead me to thinking is it fact or myth?

I regularly dump it into my compost, which is primarily composed of kitchen scraps and spent grain from brewing, and use that on everything I grow in my garden.

So far I've had great results, everything grows energetically, I couldn't speak to the science behind it but it definitely works.

Putting it directly on growing plants, I've no idea how that would go, but as an additive to homemade compost it's great!

I lot of mine guys into our septic and keeps it going nicely.

Compost. That's a good idea I was more thinking pouring it on with a van like miracle grow

A van? Ho much do you have?
There was a van version of the Nissan/Datsun Cherry for when you're making krieks?
1725035713586.png

I have 2 x 200L blue storage drums filled from a sump & pump that takes all my liquid brewery waste. It decants and settles then goes to my raised beds. I used to check PH but now don't bother.

Raised beds full of perennial kale and sprouting broccoli @ the mo. It is like a jungle megga green growth. Been cooking and eating it all year.

My second head is growing nicely just like Zaphod Beeblebrox!!! :eek: :roll:

Jof said - I tip mine on the compost too.
But I put spent grain in the food recycling as I don't want to attract rats.

Know what you mean. I put spent grain on the compost heap and had rats. Solution, put spent hops near where they were getting in, result rats gone. Hops are poisonous to many creatures, so assume it applies to rats. 🤔 Rats never came back. Job done.

Last edited:
I used to dump trub from the kettle on the lawn, and the part of the lawn where I was dumping it died. I suspect it was the hop residue overriding the sweet trub which should have enhanced the lawn.

Latest posts

Back