Would like some advice on start kit for beer...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samarith

Regular.
Reaction score
I haven't tried brewing beer for about 20 years but I've just been given the green light by my girlfriend. My budget is around £100

My first thought was something like:

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/index.php/complete-woodfordes-starter-equipment-set.html

but then I remembered the problems I had with those cheap plastic kegs. Cleaning, leaks and pressure problems.

So I then wondered about trying to wangle a similar deal but with a King Keg instead but after reading a number of reviews, it seems the tap issues and pressure problems occur even with these.

After a bit more thought I started to consider the reconditioned cornie option but once I priced up the cornie plus a tap plus CO2 system it just seemed to get too expensive.

Then I noticed this option:

http://www.hamstead-brewing-centre.co.uk/itm00561.htm

but the picture isn't very clear, so I'm not really sure how you pressurise it. Has anyone bought one of these?

I'm seriously tempted by the last option, I'd imagine you could refit to convert it to another CO2 delivery system further down the line and once I get one then there is the possibility of aquiring a breeding pair. :whistle:

Are there other options I have missed? I'd really like a bit of expert advice.

I don't drink a lot (a few pints a week usually), so the beer needs to stay fresh for a few of months.

I have 3 cornys bought from hamstead they have the lids converted to accept the s30 hambleton bard gas bottles which are ok but dont last that long .However i find they are great with the sparkler tap fitment attached to the handle i can honestly say ive never had a problem with them

Good to know, I've emailed Hamstead to ask about the CO2 connections on that system.

I seem to remember the tiny CO2 bulbs needing to be changed frequently, the S30's look much better and would probably last me a couple of years. ;)

Samarith said:
Good to know, I've emailed Hamstead to ask about the CO2 connections on that system.

I seem to remember the tiny CO2 bulbs needing to be changed frequently, the S30's look much better and would probably last me a couple of years. ;)
if you force carb the s30 wont last as long as you think but if you decide to prime then you only need enough gas to dispense

i have one of those, it was the very first cornie i brought. If you do get one just remember you only need a 2 second burst from the HB cylinder and you shoud be able to get about 5 - 6 pints before you need to add any more gas.

Thinking out loud....
Thriftyshopper have cornies for under £40 delivered, no disconnects so you'd need to budget for them, think there about £15 for a pair delivered.
I pay £14 for a medium sized gas bottle.
Co2 regulator, say £25 from ebay is probably as cheap as you'll get
Gas line, beer line, JG fittings and a tap ???

mmmmmm.......Hamstead does look quite good

The trick was to get the first brew for around the £100 mark, its an informal birthday present.

The good news is that I got caught looking at the shiny, my g/f thinks that it looks so much better and was curious why I would get one of those plastic barrels when these are available. :hmm:

Since I already have all my winemaking gear I guess all I need is a 5 gallon FV, a big plastic spoon and a kit. :thumb:

I'll look at upgrading the gas system another time but an S30 will probably last me quite a while.

No, they are like a stretched HB gas bottle. You need the trigger mech, & it fastens to a disconnect.
It's swings & roundabouts really :D

Well the beer is brewing, I went with the Woodfordes Wherry as my starter for 10. The reviews said it tastes quite like Doom Bar and I do like the odd pint of that.

I've placed the order for my cornie from Hamstead, which I am hoping will arrive on Friday.

Planning a BBQ for the first or second week in July, hopefully it will be drinkable for that but if not I can definately wait longer. :drunk:

Many thanks for the advice and feedback all.

john_s said:
My Wherry wasn't too great after a month, so I left it completely alone for another couple of months and it was much improved.

Good too know, I might pull a pint for my birthday then leave it alone. None of my local family are real ale drinkers so this should last me quite a while.

Its too early to convince my girlfriend of the sound principles of proper conditioning and the need for a second cornie but Xmas might be the right time. :grin:

Samarith said:
Its too early to convince my girlfriend of the sound principles of proper conditioning and the need for a second cornie but Xmas might be the right time. :grin:

"Dear Father Christmas, I've been a really good boy this year, so please can I have..."

:mrgreen:

Well my cornie arrived today with the HB30 gas bottle (£89 for the set).

The Wherry only started 2 days ago so I guess I have a minimum of 12 days before its worth transfering it to the keg.

I assume I prime and fine direct to the cornie? And the additional beer to bottle?

you can fine in the fv then transfer into the corny once clear then force carb by gassing then shaking you do need a pressure gauge though

Latest posts

Back