Would bottling only half my ale ruin the rest if I leave it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsbrew

Reaction score
I've got a batch of ale ready now and I've only got around 25 bottles ready for it to go into, so I want to know if it'll be OK to bottle what I can, then put the lid (and air-lock) back onto the fermenting vessel and do the rest in a couple of weeks time. Would this be a risk to the remainder in the vessel?

Thanks folks, Carl.

i wouldnt think so its only like keeping it in a keg as long as its air tight to avoid contamination suppose it depends how long your keeping it before bottling

Bottle what you can, but I don't think you should be leaving the rest for more than a few days.

Go buy some budget priced lemonade, the cheap stuff, 2 litres for 20p type of ****, ditch the contents and use those bottles as a stop-gap.

31bb3 said:
its only like keeping it in a keg
Except that:
>>> In a keg as beer leaves the tap, the beer's space is replaced by co2 either from the overpressure inside the barrel or by injecting some more. Beer and co2 go well together.
>>> In the FV as the beer leaves, the space will be replaced by air. Beer and air do not go well together, and can cause issues over time.

As Moley has suggested, if you can't wait for more glass bottles, I would get some cheapo bottles to supplement the ones you already have. The beer will taste just as good. :thumb:

commsbiff said:
31bb3 said:
its only like keeping it in a keg
Except that:
>>> In a keg as beer leaves the tap, the beer's space is replaced by co2 either from the overpressure inside the barrel or by injecting some more. Beer and co2 go well together.
>>> In the FV as the beer leaves, the space will be replaced by air. Beer and air do not go well together, and can cause issues over time.

As Moley has suggested, if you can't wait for more glass bottles, I would get some cheapo bottles to supplement the ones you already have. The beer will taste just as good. :thumb:

The air going in to replace the ale was my main concern, I initially considered that CO2 being heavy than air would stay there assuming I was careful, but then realised as you mentioned that the ale going out of it would draw air in.
I'm instead going to buy cheap lemonade bottles as they'll do well for going to visit friends. Plus, it leaves me with an empty FV and I can get another brew going :drunk:

Probably too late now, but i would sit outside my nearest bottle bank and wait for some old chap to come along to recycle his old bottles and mug him :lol: well not literally but explain what you want them for and he`d be more than willing to let you have them. :cool:

me... a cheepskate... how very dare you ;) :rofl:

Latest posts

Back