Wine Thief

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a wine thief or alternative? Using a turkey baster looks like an inexpensive solution but I've read these 'leak' when taking samples. The Fermtech 'The Thief' look okay, as do the Ballihoo plastic ones (where you pop your finger over the top)... Which (if any - or alternative!) is best?

Cheers.

If you want to get really fancy you can get actual syringes that go up to 100ml - I find the hydrometer sample jar wants 60 to 70. You'll have to Google a bit but they're there.

its a syringe it is a lot easier to clean and sanitise than a turkey baster or wine thief
and a syringe of this size inserted into a T junction in your syphon tube when racking can be used to create the syphon affect with ease
No more having to prime your syphon or worse still sucking the syphon tube to get it going

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks good! Turkey basters do drip, not that it's much of a problem, though I do sometimes have to do two dips to get enough of a sample later on in fermentation, when the hydrometer sinks further.

Only time I can think I would marginally still prefer the baster is if there's still a very thick krauesen, perhaps, like the case with WY 3787 even after nearly 3 weeks. Other than that, the syringe looks a good bet.

its a syringe it is a lot easier to clean and sanitise than a turkey baster or wine thief
and a syringe of this size inserted into a T junction in your syphon tube when racking can be used to create the syphon affect with ease
No more having to prime your syphon or worse still sucking the syphon tube to get it going

Thank you :) I guess I'll have to look for a T junction next... It's all new to me! :) Thanks.

Latest posts

Back