Who is Taylor Swift

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parents are absolutley correct when they say that 90% of what their kids listen to is rubbish. And their kids are absolutely correct when they say that 90% of what their parents listened to was rubbish.

The Rolling Stones are little more than a pub rock cover band feeding a parody of America back to the nation that influenced them.
How very dare you call the Stones a pub band, the mastery of Charlie on drums Keith with his masterly grasp of open G tuning throw in Ronnie and mick the ultimate front man, to be in a fickle business like music for over 6 decades you are much more than a pub band athumb..acheers.

No offence but you old gits aren't her target audience.

The OP was asking about the hype there are lots of singers like her or better out there why all the Taylor Swift hype.

"Am I the only person who doesn't get all the hype about Taylor Swift, i really don't think she has much talent"

Last edited:
Not so. I was weaned on black sabbath and deep purple, yes, crimson and all the good progressive band. Couldn't abide motown when that came, along and punk still makes me want to vomit.
BUT my kids were into Metallica, sepultura, rage against the machine, machine head etc. Loved it and I've got loads of their CDs although I still can't get on with chilli's and aerosmith. Later on the Scandinavian metal, fintroll, Moonsorrow etc. Still love and listen to Moonsorrow. So I'm still looking out for good stuff, it doesn't have to be the Beatles.
I was generalising, there are always exceptions.

FWIW I can play shake it out on guitar, nobody will be surprised it is only three chords, but then again so is Yellow. Etc. etc. etc.

If you look at my influences, above, you'll see that pop isn't really my thing, but yes, that PSB track us a good song I'll have to give their playlist a listen. Similarly I thought The Sun Always Shines on TV and Take Me On could have made half-decent rock ballads, but as for AhHa, no.
I really, really don't like Aerosmith, but they did an album Honking on Bobo, which is first class. Dream On isn't bad, either.
My point being is that it's possible to recognise talent in bands you don't like. "oh, that's a great song, but I hate it", sort if thing.
I struggle to find that in Swift's repertoire, what I've heard of it, though.
Perhaps it's more the show than the music that appeals.

GADE you can play a million songs, get in open G you can play chords with no fingers well E i love open G , sorry for going off topic

DADGAD is another classic open tuning I like. It's used a lot in folk/celtic music by guitarists such as Bert Jansch, Richard Thompson and Jimmy Page.

Special set of photos of Taylor Swift for you

1718217456368.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How very dare you call the Stones a pub band, the mastery of Charlie on drums Keith with his masterly grasp of open G tuning throw in Ronnie and mick the ultimate front man, to be in a fickle business like music for over 6 decades you are much more than a pub band athumb..acheers.
At the risk of being flamed 1st album is all covers bar one song, second album they managed to write three. In my book that makes them a cover band.

Really, I like all kinds of music from the 70s to today this is not about the good old days listen to the top 5 Madonna songs and Swift songs and tell me who is the better singer.
To be honest I’m not a fan of either, but I can acknowledge that both have released well crafted songs. However Taylor Swift writes all her own material and over 90% on her own. Madonna was massively reliant on the creative input of her producers, some of whom she dated. The cynic in me says that she at least in part slept her way to the top.

I haven’t heard anything beyond some of the big hits but TS seems at least as capable as Madonna vocally.

Both are a massively hyped product of the industry machine and both are savvy businesswomen, I’d say there’s probably not a lot to choose between them. But as someone who spent nearly twenty years working in and around the music industry, specifically recording, composing and arranging I respect the songwriters more than the performers.

If you look at my influences, above, you'll see that pop isn't really my thing, but yes, that PSB track us a good song I'll have to give their playlist a listen. Similarly I thought The Sun Always Shines on TV and Take Me On could have made half-decent rock ballads, but as for AhHa, no.
I really, really don't like Aerosmith, but they did an album Honking on Bobo, which is first class. Dream On isn't bad, either.
My point being is that it's possible to recognise talent in bands you don't like. "oh, that's a great song, but I hate it", sort if thing.
I struggle to find that in Swift's repertoire, what I've heard of it, though.
Perhaps it's more the show than the music that appeals.
The whole show / spectacle of a performance is something that’s never appealed to me. I’ve got so many friends that cite Bjork, The Prodigy etc along with various EDM and Prog groups and how amazing the show was, but when you ask them about the music they have little to say. The visual spectacle can sometimes distract from a lacklustre performance and mediocre songs.

Latest posts

Back