Which Urn do I ask for...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can hook up pretty much any solid state relay (SSR) you want to a controller, and it’s easy to get ones rated up to 50A (but DONT get them off Amazon or eBay as they are all, in my experience, fakes - especially anything maraked ‘FOTEK’ - go to RS, Farnell or Digikey). You’ll need a decent heat sink tho.
For connectors you can get IEC plugs and sockets rated at 13A and that‘s what I use to control my 3kW Burco :-)

Concerning the current rating for IEC the European spec is notably different to the US one. In the US they are perfectly happy using the same plugs for much higher currents, necessitated by their lower supply voltage; and I can confirm that the connectors have no problem handling 13A, but obviously you want to use good quality ones.

On the other hand @Ashman if you want to use some meatier connectors then you can use the 16A (or 32A) "Commando" sockets like these.
They are relatively inexpensive and work very well in a brewing environment where there are liquids around.

1604576745702.png

Concerning the current rating for IEC the European spec is notably different to the US one. In the US they are perfectly happy using the same plugs for much higher currents, necessitated by their lower supply voltage; and I can confirm that the connectors have no problem handling 13A, but obviously you want to use good quality ones.
Yeah just revisiting my post the C15/C16 looks like the hot condition spec. Though still 10A.

I did spot these in Argos of all places.Only IP20 rated.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3135893
Even this looked interesting but maybe for me a bit overkill.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4074489

Yeah just revisiting my post the C15/C16 looks like the hot condition spec. Though still 10A.

Just to reiterate for completeness, the US standards certify both the C13/14 and C15/16 combinations for up to 15A (see IEC 60320 - Wikipedia). Obviously that's an issue if you're looking for an EU type approval of course.

Attachments

• 1604675999065.png
    1604675999065.png
    86 KB
El cheapo urn arrived. It’s quite small at 20L but looks ok. Looking inside i am hoping the tap unit is attached separately at the bottom from the two sight glass inlets (middle 2). I am also hoping the top screw attaches the exterior plastic cover for the sight glass and reveals how they sight glass is made up. Useful ports? So once the tap hopefully comes off I can lhave a cup of tea and a think. I could do with a thermowell but how easy that is depends on how the sight glass ports work.

edit: ports are pretty diy right off the factory floor . silicone tube bend connected to plastic tube with a floating bed. Held together with zip ties!

Attachments

• D124CC2E-35B2-49F7-B744-2C5EC9BF8AFB.jpeg
    D124CC2E-35B2-49F7-B744-2C5EC9BF8AFB.jpeg
    18.5 KB
  • C63DC837-0059-4C0C-A986-C11D9631C389.jpeg
    C63DC837-0059-4C0C-A986-C11D9631C389.jpeg
    9.1 KB
  • CAF5A751-D2B0-4AE1-9439-BEE05F47995D.jpeg
    CAF5A751-D2B0-4AE1-9439-BEE05F47995D.jpeg
    11.3 KB
Last edited:
Sorry for the daft question. The urn is fitted with a tap with a thread that roughly measures 1/2 inch. It’s double skinned so the silicone washer bridges the gap presumably to stop liquid flowing between the skins. Why if I look at either 1/2 inch taps or thermowells the instructions are to drill a 21mm hole size ? Are the taps measured 1/2 on the ID so say I can hook up a 1/2 barb?

Sorry for the daft question. The urn is fitted with a tap with a thread that roughly measures 1/2 inch. It’s double skinned so the silicone washer bridges the gap presumably to stop liquid flowing between the skins. Why if I look at either 1/2 inch taps or thermowells the instructions are to drill a 21mm hole size ? Are the taps measured 1/2 on the ID so say I can hook up a 1/2 barb?
BSP thread dimensions:
1605467472177.jpeg

Yeah it’s nuts. So the silicon tubing is 6mm ID ‘held’ on with zip ties to little mini barb connectors. Helpful for me as I realised today grainfather sell an in-line thermowell called a wortometer. I think I will hack this into the sight glass.

Latest posts

Back