Which Urn do I ask for...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
Christmas is coming.
All year i've been asking the wife for a Boiler for christmas (i.e. beer urn) so I can make the jump to AG.
She normally spends about £200 on me.
I need it to be Electric and big enough to ferment 20ish litre batches.
Any recommendations. Don't really know what i'm looking for.
Temp control that goes low enough so I can use it for mashing would be a plus, but I've got a cool box i'm going to convert into a Mash Tun, so not necessary.
I'm also going to build myself a Counterflow chiller, so if it's got a tap that can connect easily, that's another bonus.

Cheers all.

When i read the title i wondered if it was the wrong forum, not one of these then :laugh8:

1604078786398.png

Interesting. I was going to ask a similar question. I was thinking about the Klarstein Maischfest 25L. Available for £190 delivered but with Black Friday soon. Is this better than having loads of pans and working on a hob?

25L is too small to comfortably do 20L. When the boil starts it's considerably more violent than you would expect. Mine's 30L and I'm still pretty close to boilovers for an 18L brew.

I went for the 25L Brauheld (stove top pot) as 35L seemed a little overkill and was bigger, plus I did not need 35L...

20201024_170826.jpg

This was my last brew, where I went with a fairly big grain bill and understood I needed the 35L...

I went for the 25L Brauheld (stove top pot) as 35L seemed a little overkill and was bigger, plus I did not need 35L...

View attachment 34790

This was my last brew, where I went with a fairly big grain bill and understood I needed the 35L...
is the liquid right up to the top?That looks like a skill !

is the liquid right up to the top?That looks like a skill !
Sure is! very gentle stirring when mashing was required and keeping VERY close eye the whole time, live and learn.
I keep coming back to the digiboil. Brew keg tap have it cheaper but I never see it in stock. Planning on treating myself after xmas

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/rob...ry/473-digiboil-35l-digital-boiler-2400w.html

That should do the trick, but this one is similar price but comes with a hop bazooka and a false bottom. Not a deal breaker but that's 2 extra filter stages to keep any debris from getting into the FV and probably less likely to scorch the grain .
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...eel.html?force_sid=4149coanmvq77f4detpttp09v0

I have a Burco Cygnet 30L which I use with an insulated mash tun and a smaller electric HLT for sparge water. The Burco cost me around £75. I have fitted a bottom drain and helix hop filter and replaced the original tap with a thermowell as I use it with an Inkbird and timer to prepare my strike water ready to mash-in when I get up. I use it with one of @foxbat’s power regulators to control boil intensity. An all-in-one system would be simpler but I enjoy assembling and modifying my equipment as much as I do brewing.

Do you run any pumps? I’m looking at the mp-15RM. However I’m not that sure of the benefits of using a pump.

My original setup was entirely gravity-fed with strike-water supplied from the HLT. That worked fine but, with the fermenter on the floor, the top of the HLT has to be 6ft high which means going up steps to fill it. When I moved from immersion to counter-flow chiller, I bought an MP-15RM. It seems a great little pump for the price, I put it on a wooden baseplate and connect it via a footswitch. Like all centrifugal pumps it is not self-priming and can we susceptible to clogging if grain or hop fragments carry over. I now mash-in using strike-water heated in the kettle, using the pump, and I’m going to move the kettle to the floor and pump, via the counter-flow into fermenter (rather than lift a kettle full of hot wort for a gravity transfer). Heating strike-water in the kettle should enable me to brew 2 batches in quick succession using water left over in the HLT, after sparging the first brew, to mash-n the second whilst the first is still in the kettle. I’ve recently ordered a second MP-15RM pump and plan to install a herms coil in the HLT. Initially, I was reluctant to buy a pump but I’m very pleased with the flexibility it gives.

Latest posts

Back