where's all the AG brewers gone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a confession to make

I am going back to making kits

Whew I'm glad that is finally out in the open, I feel that a weight has been lifted from my shoulders

graysalchemy said:
I have noticed as well. No one seems t want to step up to all grain either. I can't remember the last time I welcomed someone to the darkside, that seems to have gone by the by along with word association game.

We are rapidly becoming a forum of lager kit drinkers. Back in the day you couldn't even mention the L word. I suppose the ecconomic climate has brought a new breed of brewers.

Long live AG
Most newbies want to brew cheap alcohol (Kits and TC)and not for the love of brewing fantastic beers better that you can buy. :(
As said before it must be the economic climate that's forcing this change in attitude...
Most brewers start on kits then progress, now it's kits, kits, kits........ feck kits.
BB

When funds allow for brew shed and some shiney i'll be asking loads of dumb questions :lol:

Aleman said:
I have a confession to make

I am going back to making kits

Whew I'm glad that is finally out in the open, I feel that a weight has been lifted from my shoulders

AM, This isn't a therapy session... :cry:

If we're trading confessions...my hefeweizens are all extract brewed...Let some german maltster put the decoction produced extract in a plastic tub...life's too short to do 10 rests and a boil at home...I feel unburdened all of a sudden :P

eggman said:
When funds allow for brew shed and some shiney i'll be asking loads of dumb questions :lol:
I brewed in the kitchen with plastic buckets for 15 years, no thermo box just a bucket in a bucket.. aggro from the wife but the beer was great... stainless makes no difference, technique and experience does.. :thumb:
When your ready eggman ask away were here to help.. :thumb:

BB :drink:

economic climate with me. not the want of cheap beer but the fact that i work 6 and a half days a week and i can get a kit up and running in 20 mins, 4 days later another 20 mins into secondary with dry hopping. following week into a barrel. but one day i will get there :cheers:

graysalchemy said:
I won't use it again but even UP said he went into a pub and had a pint of L last weekend, it wasn't even warm. :lol: :lol:

Anyway I usually spell it Larger and get into even more trouble.
Uncle.P is a double dealer....... and to think I shared his tent last year and shared my black pud with him. Grrrr

BB :P

BarnsleyBrewer said:
When your ready eggman ask away were here to help.. :thumb:

Cheers BB :thumb:

Currently in a mobile home thats 30' x 10', hence the need for a man shed :party:
My current brewery (spare room) has been taken over as a dressing room by the girlfriend :evil:

I've been busy with work and have got lots of things half completed and I haven't been brewing but all this is going to change very soon so one more AG brewery to bolster numbers.

Here's the wort sprayer for the mash tun in progress, my mate has done most of it at work.

P1020359.jpg

And now I have one of these, so I'll be finishing them. The lathe may be 4 years older than me and I'm knocking on a bit but now I've swapped the motor and added a 3 phase inverter its working very nicely, well once I sorted out the oil leak.

P1020326.jpg

Cheers
NB

Yes, its 1959 Colchester chipmaster, weighs about 550kg and we had to shift it up a short flight of stairs to get it in the workshop, worked up quite a thirst :cheers: Its built like a brick outhouse, ebay jobby when a company in Huddersfield moved premises. I didn't really expect to win the lathe but I put in a very low bid and it was mine. :D If I sold the tools that came with it I would get my cash back - used it to make several things for the brewery so far so not a bad buy. :thumb:

My Ha'peth

We started with cider a couple of years ago- plenty of spare apples around here just pressed them and left the juice for a few months before bottling. No sterilisation, no yeast added, no priming nothing added at all the results were amazing and varied from tree to tree batch to batch none better than the other just exciting and different.
One of us said they preferred beer in the winter months.
Got onto this site.
I've learn't a huge, huge amount here.
Took a couple of months of reading and learning and building an unconventional kit..... induction heaters rather than gas or elements.
Took the step immediately to go AG and brewed 100l on the first day.
Scrounged loads of bottles from bins
Result is the most flavourful beer I've ever tasted.
If the aim of the seniors on this site is to educate.
They've done that.
And inspired us.
Thanks.

RokDok

See you at the Hot Break.

I am keen to learn more.

I only started any brewing 14months ago! This forum and its inhabitance are my saviours!!

If anything the economic down turn should be putting more people in to making GREAT beer at home rather than buying over priced **** beer.

The really good AG beer I share with friends is taken in high regard and 4 of my friends have since bought home brew kits (for kit beers!) but are more than welcome to use my setup for AG after all mine only gets used about once very 4 weeks!

We are out there!

D

With the help people here and a few pm's (thank you)I should be going AG before the summer, once I work out what kit to get.

:thumb:

Northern Brewer said:
Yes, its 1959 Colchester chipmaster, weighs about 550kg and we had to shift it up a short flight of stairs to get it in the workshop, worked up quite a thirst

Heavy metal! Bad joke...

Nice bit of kit, reminds me of being back at school in design and tech, making blow pipes and ammunition for it rather than what we were meant to be doing :whistle:

im still here but new job forces me to moth ball it for a while

unless i can get the wife to brew for me ;)

Hope you don't mind me asking this in here but it seems appropriate place as any and no hijack intended.

What is the average brew size for you AG men? with brew days being several hours longer and far more involved than the kit ones do you tend to get it all in one big brew day or do you still do lots of smaller 23l batch's? Are 100L batch's the norm and does this go someway to interfering with your ability to brew as much as you would like?

I added that little bit on the end to make it more in keeping with the OP, :cheers:

23l is my standard batch. I tend to scale up a brew that I really liked to 50l. However I would rather brew more often and try more beers!

Back