Wheat beer flat after 2nd fernetation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwoo

Reaction score
I brewed my Coopers Wheat Beer as recommended, 1 tin, 500 g light malt and 300 g brewing sugar. It was in the FV for 2 weeks, I then bottled using 1 carbonation drop per 500 ml PET bottle, I left the bottles in an unheated garage for 2 weeks, I chilled a bottle down overnight and tried a sample but it does not have fizz at all, no head, it smells and tastes OK other than being flat any suggestions?

Sounds like you didn't get a good seal on the lid. Did it taste sweet, as if the priming sugar had not fermented? If it wasn't sweet then the sugar was eaten by yeast, so the gas must have leaked. If it was sweet, then there was (probably) no yeast activity.

rpt said:
It needs time for the beer to absorb the CO2.

Good point - did the bottle "psssht" as you opened it, to reveal flat beer, or was it just a silent open, with no gas evident at all?
If you got a "Psssht" then just cool it for a couple of days and all will be well.

iwoo said:
I brewed my Coopers Wheat Beer as recommended, 1 tin, 500 g light malt and 300 g brewing sugar. It was in the FV for 2 weeks, I then bottled using 1 carbonation drop per 500 ml PET bottle, I left the bottles in an unheated garage for 2 weeks, I chilled a bottle down overnight and tried a sample but it does not have fizz at all, no head, it smells and tastes OK other than being flat any suggestions?

I had the same problem with my first kit - ausie lager. I had mine in the hot press for a week then out to the shed at about 6C. Mine were flat initially, I moved the bottles back to the warm (20+C) for another week and then back to the shed. All in all after the second warm period they were great.

Or...if you used the coopers plastic PET bottles I found that you really had to give them a good tighten (sore hands afterwards). My first impression of the carbonation drops was disappointing and now use brewing sugar to prime.

Cheers
BrewBilly

I've found that time is your friend.

Been a bit quick opening some of mine lately and thought I hadn't carbonated them enough, only to try some later and they've been fine. Despite having 2 weeks in the warm and then cooling, they still don't seem to have generated that much CO2 to absorb, but it strangely rights itself over time. Only had the very odd bottle where it's leaked out.

I would say that 1 drop isnt enough in a 500ml bottle for something as inherently lively as a hefe

I have done a bit a bit of digging and I think you are right, 1 drop is only 3g of sugar so it was probably a bit light on the bubbles, they have all been the same ~ 40 bottles, still the wife likes it so she is steadily returning the empties.

Latest posts

Back