What else do i need.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclops

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm new on here and getting into brewing, i am originally from Swadlincote. Moved to Brizlincote Valley now, just this side of the river but get Burton-upon-Trent Water though.

I have been getting some 25 litre drums from work, blue mango chutney type but had ferrous oxide in it. Basically the powder Iron tablets are made of. They should be safe as they have been cleaned out a few times and cant smell the ferrous oxide anymore.

I am wanting to this as cheaply as i can to start, a list of what i have so far is.
3 Mango type drums
10m x10mm soft copper pipe
a few elbows and other copper bits + soldering stuff.
1 PID and 2xPT100's - ON way from China
2 Kettle elements and leads.
1 x Asda Cooler box Mashtun - insulated with expanding foam and rockwool.
I have some mesh for a hop stopper for the mashtun and also the Boiler using this idea. (http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5760)
1 x Graham wheeler book which should be here today.

I am thinking of making an IC out of the 10mm pipe and adding a pump to recirculate the wort into the middle of the IC, i have seen this helps loads with the cooling and other reasons i cant remember now. :lol:

Will a 12v pump be good enough to pump it around as i have a spare 12v motorcycle battery in the garage doing nothing and is brand new. or will i be better off with a Totton or similar?

I would like to put some beer in bottles + been thinking about doing some in a Corny too, does anyone know the cheapest place to get one or 2 of these.

Is there any people around the area i could maybe come to a brew day and see how to do it all and maybe give me some ideas on what to do.

Welcome to the forum !! I'm just up the road in Newhall !!

Can't really answer your questions, only just finished getting my AG kit together, but there are plenty of folk on here to help you ! :thumb: :cheers:

Stephen

Welcome to the forum Oakey. :)
I am wanting to this as cheaply as i can to start,
Depends what you want to do. :? If cost is important, as you say, you can make very good beer withouts pids and pumps ;)
This stuff will not make the beer any better :)

There have been two very recent posts which might help you. Search by user name periolus and commsbiff, threads contain alot of useful information. :D

Good luck with your build, research and plan and then ask specific questions :D

Latest posts

Back