What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the ambient temperature ? I no-chilled a few days ago and due to the fact the brew shed was only a few degrees above freezing it chilled too much and I had to heat it back up to pitch :D
Yep. Had that two weeks ago aheadbutt. Going to keep an eye on it and may transfer late tonight if it's dropped

A take on Sam Smiths India Ale.

OG 1,050 FG 1012 ABV 5% IBU 50 SRM 8.5

4.5 kg Veloria Schooner Pale Malt
0,50 kg Toasted Ale Malt
0,250 kg Voyager winter wheat malt.
0,350 kg Simpsons light crystal (late mash tun addition)
75 minute boil
60 mins 25g Northern Brewer
30 mins 40g EKG
15 mins 28g EKG
Hop Stand 28g Fuggles
Even though the boil was only 15 minutes more it produced more trub, the kettle contents were poured into two jugs leaving me with a bonus 3 litres after settling out.

1701487427861.png

Had a mate over to brew a biritsh golden ale...ignored the 'no beers til cold side'...I don't think I messed anything up. But my measurements were approximate. We shall see! Back to nursing my hangover.

Kegged up my 3rd attempt at a NEIPA yesterday and it smells delicious, tastes really green at the moment but I have high hopes for this one.

As it was snowy and cold I also had an impromptu first attempt at a lager that I'm letting ride at room temp under pressure. Should be really light and going to finish it off with some crystallized lime in the keg when it's done ✔️

It's only my 4th attempt at brewing so God knows what it's going to taste like 😁
20231126_123738.jpg

Great stuff. Appreciate the review 😊
Looks like they come with a chiller now too, 👍👍
I can second the comments, I've got that model myself I think you get a bit better than what you pay for. Only thing I would note is, on my machine, the temperature is quite a bit off from what the probe says to what's going on up top.

I dumped my first batch on it as it was bitter beyond belief, probably a few other mistakes like under pitching and others with it being my first brew but I've settled on the main problem being I was using the temperature from the machine to pick my whirlpool temp and put in a shed load of hops thinking I was at 80 degrees when I was probably closer to 87 which I confirmed with additional temperature measurements on the second brew.

I can second the comments, I've got that model myself I think you get a bit better than what you pay for. Only thing I would note is, on my machine, the temperature is quite a bit off from what the probe says to what's going on up top.

I dumped my first batch on it as it was bitter beyond belief, probably a few other mistakes like under pitching and others with it being my first brew but I've settled on the main problem being I was using the temperature from the machine to pick my whirlpool temp and put in a shed load of hops thinking I was at 80 degrees when I was probably closer to 87 which I confirmed with additional temperature measurements on the second brew.

Thanks Danny. Think I’ll be looking to get one in the New Year.. wil make life much easier, and mean I can brew outside which my wife will be delighted about 🤣🤣

Appreciate the heads up on temp control, I’ll make sure I’ve got an additional temp control set up.

PS - know the feeling RE dumping a batch. I’ve just about given up on a (thankfully small) batch in bottles, though different reasons, some nasty off flavours from fermenting too high..

Ta,
Dan

Abbot Ale clone (first attempt). When I was designing the recipe I thought I'd have a look at Bishop's finger (I suppose because there are parallels in the name). Found an interesting recipe thread that included some old advertising material (that is also on here) where the main picture was of a country maid type person, the strap line was 'close to the knuckle' and the main text said things like 'there's always time to squeeze in a Bishop's finger' ashock1. Anyway, apparently (at the time anyway) the recipe had no amber malt but did have malt syrup. When I googled that I got a link to malt syrup on Amazon where it stated the main ingredient was tuna fish ????o_O. See link.

Malt Syrup

No-chilled overnight and thanks to the freezing temperatures it was down to 15 so I switched the boiler on for about 30 seconds to bring it back up to 18.

Realised while I was finishing my breakfast that I've still got the packet of yeast in my pocket. I suppose it might help if I go back out and pitch it. :laugh8: :roll:.

Decided to cold crash this as its going into a corny. Was about to faff about moving it into the brew fridge when I realised that as the shed was only 2c all I had to do was turn the STC-1000 off and open the lid of the chamber. :D

Just checked and it's down to 23 , so I have transferred to FV pitched and set heater for 21 athumb..

Actually used maths (well Excel) last night to make sure I didn't let my latest brew no-chill too low as its sooooo cold at the moment. Stuck a monitored thermometer on the boiler and watched it cool for a few hours. Then got Excel to project forward and it was saying it would reach pitching temp around 3am. So I went out and stuck a blanket over it and it was a nice 21 at 10am. 🧐

It was 1.039 the next morning which was better than 1.027. Decided to add 200g of sugar to make it up to the 1.043 target though.

Longest lag time I've experienced which I think was because I pitched around 16c. Its well away now.
Finally got round to bottling it. I was filling the last bottle when I realised I'd forgotten to take an FG. It was 1.011.

Bit late in the process but actually took a picture this time. NZ PA on the left, Helles on the right of the chest freezer ferm chamber. Excitingly one of the PET bottles of the Helles was nice and firm so that's going to get tested tonight.

IMG_6033.jpg

No-chilled overnight and thanks to the freezing temperatures it was down to 15 so I switched the boiler on for about 30 seconds to bring it back up to 18.

Realised while I was finishing my breakfast that I've still got the packet of yeast in my pocket. I suppose it might help if I go back out and pitch it. :laugh8: :roll:.
Bottled/kegged the Lambtons this morning. Nearly forgot to take an FG (1.009). When I went to update my notes and work out the ABV I realised that not only did I nearly forget to pitch the yeast, I don't seem to have written down the OG aheadbutt. Unless I can find it written somewhere else I'm going to assume I more or less hit the target of 1.046.

Actually used maths (well Excel) last night to make sure I didn't let my latest brew no-chill too low as its sooooo cold at the moment. Stuck a monitored thermometer on the boiler and watched it cool for a few hours. Then got Excel to project forward and it was saying it would reach pitching temp around 3am. So I went out and stuck a blanket over it and it was a nice 21 at 10am. 🧐
It's finished fermenting. That was quick, pitched Friday morning and its done Saturday morning. Forgot to say what 'it' is. Its a Abbot Ale clone. I thought the wort looked a bit too light but we'll see when I bottle it. Going to bump the temp up a degree to help with the D-rest then maybe bottle it later in the week or next week.

Realised I'm running out of 500ml bottles and my cornies are full so I'm going to have to put it in a mixture of 500, 330 and 660 bottles or maybe put it in a pressure barrel.

Back