What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 104924
This morning a coffee on DFDS ferry to Calais for a pre Christmas wine buying trip.
View attachment 104925
Preprandial Chimay Biere Blonde in a little town restaurant in Marck, just outside Calais.
View attachment 104926
Then it's Alsace Pinot Noir with local smoked salmon starter.
Both amazingly tasty.
View attachment 104927
The it's another glass of red with the in-house Flanders speciality Potscheuelsh, salad and the thinnest of chips imaginable.
Suffice to say also top flavours.
View attachment 104928
Then SWMBO'D followed with a serve-yourself pears in spiced red wine.
I tried some, the tastiest poached pear I never had.
I just had a coffee (not shown).
I then tasted a few (few too many) in the Calais wine superstore.
Obviously no photos there either!🥂🥂🥂🍷🍷🍷
A little sleepy now.
What’s your wine allowance now after brexit ?

What’s your wine allowance now after brexit ?
As of 2021 (when even the conversion of the Champagne +/spirits allowance to still wine, permitting an extra 9 litres was removed by HM Gov.),
it's now only 18 litres wine per person.
That's 24 bottles of 750ml each.
The only thing that make it remotely financially viable now is the vat reclaim systems operated by Global Blue or Skiptax.
'Pablo' terminals for the scanning of vat reclaim barcodes when leaving France are at all Channel ports / shuttle sites.
Oh, and 42 litres beer!

As of 2021 (when even the conversion of the Champagne +/spirits allowance to still wine, permitting an extra 9 litres was removed by HM Gov.),
it's now only 18 litres wine per person.
That's 24 bottles of 750ml each.
The only thing that make it remotely financially viable now is the vat reclaim systems operated by Global Blue or Skiptax.
'Pablo' terminals for the scanning of vat reclaim barcodes when leaving France are at all Channel ports / shuttle sites.
Oh, and 42 litres beer!
We’ll worth it then 👍

Hohenthannen Märzen Festbier.

1000080890.jpg

I'm not usually much of a cider guy, but these were on offer in Tesco.

View attachment 104969
Not bad, a bit chemical tasting.

View attachment 104968

Nice enough, not amazing though.

View attachment 104966

A bit sickly, sort of like liquified boiled sweets.

View attachment 104965

Probably the best of the bunch, tastes more like an alcopop that a cider.
I like an odd cider but not that kind of offering. I would assume it’s all artificial flavouring and colouring that’s used in them.
Did you drink all of them or just a taste then drain pour them ?😂

I like an odd cider but not that kind of offering. I would assume it’s all artificial flavouring and colouring that’s used in them.
Did you drink all of them or just a taste then drain pour them ?😂
Yeh, they're all very artificial tasting, not terrible but not really what I would call 'cider'.

They were cheap enough that I got a four pack of each flavour and I'm cheap enough (and/or borderline alcoholic enough :laugh8:) to drink the lot.

They're only something like 3.4% ABV though so it's not gut rot, just tastes like slightly boozy pop.

Yeh, they're all very artificial tasting, not terrible but not really what I would call 'cider'.

They were cheap enough that I got a four pack of each flavour and I'm cheap enough (and/or borderline alcoholic enough :laugh8:) to drink the lot.

They're only something like 3.4% ABV though so it's not gut rot, just tastes like slightly boozy pop.
Put a shot of vodka or rum into them and liven that party up lol

Latest posts

Back