What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same sequence as ever, my
Bitter, Camden pale ale,
IMG_20241013_182935.jpg

IMG_20241013_185618.jpg

Honest - the Bitter is darker than the pale ale, it's the phone's camera what done it!

Red wine with dinner to follow.....

That'll be down to the Protofloc for the last 10 mins. of the boil.
Sometimes it takes a while in cask to drop totally, which is frustrating. 👺
This is the advantage that kegging/cask gives you over bottling. My bottles (also with protafloc) look lovely and clear, until the yeast at the bottom is disturbed when pouring. Thankfully doesn't affect the flavour, which is the important part

Half of this before it went down the sink.
Something changed between bottling and opening it. Definitely oxidisation, likely to me transferring from one bucket to another prior to bottling.
Taste is very off too, again, different to what it tasted like before bottling.
Also as I batch primed I expected them all to have the same level of carbonation. This was the second bottle I opened, the first (a brown swing top) was flat as a pancake, absolutely zero carbonation.
Not sure I can drink the other 30+ bottles of it 😔

20241014_202634.jpg

Half of this before it went down the sink.
Something changed between bottling and opening it. Definitely oxidisation, likely to me transferring from one bucket to another prior to bottling.
Taste is very off too, again, different to what it tasted like before bottling.
Also as I batch primed I expected them all to have the same level of carbonation. This was the second bottle I opened, the first (a brown swing top) was flat as a pancake, absolutely zero carbonation.
Not sure I can drink the other 30+ bottles of it 😔

View attachment 104843
Hmmm, v. peculiar.
Did the brown-bottled beer have the same off-flavour?
If the contamination got in when transferring for batch priming, you would expect it to be in there too, with or without any carbonation being present.
If not, the contamination fault hopefully just lay in the clear bottle.
If you haven't chucked the whole batch already, perhaps wait a while and be prepared to try opening a few bottles at a time, in case there are some good'uns amongst them.
If not, you know what to look out for and you'll know for sure if they're all destined for the drain.
Best of luck. 🤞

Hmmm, v. peculiar.
Did the brown-bottled beer have the same off-flavour?
If the contamination got in when transferring for batch priming, you would expect it to be in there too, with or without any carbonation being present.
If not, the contamination fault hopefully just lay in the clear bottle.
If you haven't chucked the whole batch already, perhaps wait a while and be prepared to try opening a few bottles at a time, in case there are some good'uns amongst them.
If not, you know what to look out for and you'll know for sure if they're all destined for the drain.
Best of luck. 🤞
Both bottles tasted the same. Not sure why one wasn't carbonated as it was batch primed and both came from the same cupboard (2 weeks in)

I'll give them another week before trying and see how I go. I just don't think the taste will get better.

The first brew I did of this was lovely. Thought I'd add to it and it went a lot stronger after I added extra oats.

Both bottles tasted the same. Not sure why one wasn't carbonated as it was batch primed and both came from the same cupboard (2 weeks in)

I'll give them another week before trying and see how I go. I just don't think the taste will get better.

The first brew I did of this was lovely. Thought I'd add to it and it went a lot stronger after I added extra oats.
Ah, oh well, as you say maybe it is the whole batch.
I would have thought the lack of condition, if not due to cap/washer/seal leak, might be chemical, as microbe infection usually leads to excessive carbonation / gushing - even carb. bombs.
You'll know in a week!🍺🤞

Latest posts

Back