What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First taste of the Munich Dunkel. It’s been conditioning for 3 weeks but already is gaining decent clarity. Nice and malty, well attenuated. Might be a touch on the pale side for the Lager Than Life judges.

IMG_2936.jpeg

My first successful all grain.
2 gallon stove top.
1.4 Kg Pale
11 gm Black
Fuggles 11 gm & another 11 at 15 mins before end of boil.

Brewed 24 Jan
Into bottles (11 flip top ) 1 Feb
Kept in house 2 weeks.
Into garage 14 Feb

First today; 22 days in bottle. 30 days from brew.
ABV 3.7%

Head disappeared after 5 mins
Pretty clear; I can see my wedding ring through it.
Balanced but thin taste. Not very hoppy.

I'm feeling my way forward and would appreciate any comments.
I was looking for a bitter with body and on the hoppy side, 4% +/-.

I can stove top in a bag 10 litres brews.

Cheers folks

Attachments

• IMG_20240222_192927604.jpg
    IMG_20240222_192927604.jpg
    39 KB
  • IMG_20240222_192944827.jpg
    IMG_20240222_192944827.jpg
    38.5 KB
I’ve been busy tasting and selecting beers to put on tap for the weekend when we have the beer gang round. I did keg the cider today and have that at 60psi to carbonate quickly. Pleasingly, my last pint of pale ale last night was a full pint of clear beer and when I looked this morning there was sediment just starting to flow up the beer line so perfectly emptied/timed! After cleaning my beer lines I now have the new beers on tap including my best bitter so that’s what I’m having (first pint from the keg so a little hazy). My wife is having a small nitro imperial.

IMG_6107.jpeg

Another one before dinner. Well, that's if I bother with dinner. Coopers Sparkling clone.

Filled with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts, queerest fancies come to life and fade away. What care I how time advances? I am drinking ale today.

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_20240221_124203.jpg
IMG_20240221_131517.jpg

Missed posting this Wednesday:
Transfer day, (externalised pump connectors mod. on my Hopcat) to the serving p.p. casks.
2nd iteration of Camden pale ale clone, using a Balanced Profile water style rather than Light Coloured and Hoppy, courtesy of Brewers Friend.
The FG sample was QC tested and had the fuller mouthfeel I was hoping for.
Looking forward to it fully conditioned and mature in a week or two.

Tomorrow I’m feeding the beer gang a deep filled steak and ale pie with chive mash, mushy peas, and a rich beefy gravy. If anyone has room there’ll be sticky toffee pudding and custard/cream. I’m making the filling for the meat pie now and just having a little taste of the beer I’ll be using - I bought a couple of spare pints to make sure! 😉

IMG_6108.jpeg

IMG_2398.jpeg

The nice thing about winter is my utility room is just the right temperature for storing Mild (and other English beer styles) without refrigeration. This batch of Mild is 3.7%, lightly carbonated, with the flavour primarily coming from the malt. Cheers and happy Friday all.

View attachment 96047
The nice thing about winter is my utility room is just the right temperature for storing Mild (and other English beer styles) without refrigeration. This batch of Mild is 3.7%, lightly carbonated, with the flavour primarily coming from the malt. Cheers and happy Friday all.

Looks nice. My winter home for my cornie kegs is the sunroom which is normally perfect but a bit of sun (rare) warms it up. Fortunately kegs of beer have a reasonably large thermal mass so keep cool.

I'm starting with this cheeky wee number from Westerham Brewery in Kent via Marks & Spencer. I like it.

9Hop.png

This is a big weekend for me. I've spent the past 10 months accumulating pretty decent AG brewing kit and hand building in frame cabinets in my wee brewing room, which I've still not finished, as well as being very busy in my day job. But tomorrow I'm attempting my first all grain brew.

So I'm hoping to graduate over the next few weeks from the "all the gear and no idea" guy to "I brewed this myself and it's not too bad" guy. 😂

Latest posts

Back