Clever priming sugar required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to half fill 2 cornies and fully prime them.

But how much?

23l batch. 11.5l per corny.
Which is closer to 23 bottles
23 teaspoons = 115g sugar
Basic maths does seem a lot, but I have a big empty space to pressurise?

I want to half fill 2 cornies and fully prime them.

But how much?

23l batch. 11.5l per corny.
Which is closer to 23 bottles
23 teaspoons = 115g sugar
Basic maths does seem a lot, but I have a big empty space to pressurise?
Do what I do and fill one corny and bottle the rest. 8 pints that you can hide away and discover months/years down the road.

I recently found 4 pint bottles of an unknown lager I'd made around 1997 in my shed. Were in a crate that was mostly empties.
Two were flat and went down the drain. One of the remaining two was still sealed and I tasted it. Not much flavour, but was definitely beer. The other one was similar but a bit less carbonated.

Attachments

• VID_20240602_215634474.jpg
    VID_20240602_215634474.jpg
    42.4 KB
It doesn't have to be clever. You can aim to over prime a corny and then use the PRV to vent of some CO2 to the right level. As they do with venting cask.

It doesn't have to be clever. You can aim to over prime a corny and then use the PRV to vent of some CO2 to the right level. As they do with venting cask.

Yes, I thought about that. I have got both gauges high and low just wondered if I can be a bit more accurate to start with?

As you've asked me specifically in another thread:

Prime at what level?

Well, I think I know you were asking for "cask" levels? About 0.5g per litre, gives about 1.2-1.3 volumes (presuming you ferment beer out before casking?). So, for headspace in half full cask, add another "volume" ... that's about 0.5+0.4g per litre of sugar. Say, 9g sugar in a 19-20L Corny with 10L beer.

BUT!

Get it a bit wrong (or drink about 1/3 without priming again) and you are using some form of manual (hand) pump, (and presuming this is your "no gas cylinder" caper) and the priming sugar gas runs out (it will, leaving atmospheric pressure in the cask), the pump will pull air in past the Corny keg lid seal! And the beer goes off a few days later.

You could add x2 the headspace sugar, but the beer will be (initially at least) very fizzy.

KEG
The usual (per litre) plus same again for headspace. No pump problem ... no gas, no beer comes out tap! Add same again of sugar (x3 what normally added) to ensure right gas at end (but fizzy to start).

Don't use any form of electric pump for dispense.

Have I made you think again? I hope so.

Thank you. I was thinking no hand pump just a party tap, for initial trial.

Don't mind a bit of fizz to start.
I do have gas to hand, so no beer will be harmed in the making of this fiasco.

Was planning to set 50psi on the spundy, and then drop to 5 on the low range gauge for dispense. This is ale not lager.

Wanted to get a better understanding before I buy anything... Beer engine or pluto gun.

Should we try different things of each corny?

Latest posts

Back