Washing machine drum...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone considered using a stainless washing machine drum for the body of a press...

Just a thought. would need some reinforcement but would work!

Leo

Don't think it would be a good idea to use one of my old washing machine drums, not after my underwear and socks had been in there .

I can't see any reason why not, as long as there was sufficient reinforcement as you say.

Theres a few large scale cider makers on the forum, I'm sure they will have looked at this possibility. No doubt they will be along shortly.
I'm not a big cider drinker and have only made a gallon or two a time.............from juice mainly. So practical experience is zero on this I'm afraid.

the only problem i would see is the size of the drum and how mutch pressure to press the pulp ???????????????????? :thumb:

I've seen a report of someone making a press using awashing machine drum, I can't find a bookmark but if I come across it again I'll post a link.

Personally, I don't really see the point of a cylindrical container type press - it's over-engineered and has no functional benefit when pressing. The bottle-jack press using a pillowcase cheese cloth between two flat wooden plates is very cheap to build, and above all it's a very strong, tried and tested design.

They make the best outdoor fire pit I have ever used. Save the tub that it fits in and you have a lid that fits over the whole drum. Mike

I have something similar, made from the innards of a fire hydrant, home-built and bought off ebay for £30 bacause I costed the materials (new) for a jack press and found it a very expensive project.
I had to make several modifications to the press, as it came without a tommy bar and socket spanner, lipped collecting tray,straining bag, splash guard and hopper. I got it because the previous year I had to hand wring 80 kilos of grapes (crushed) and I couldn't face that again! However, for smaller quantities, handwringing crushed grapes is perfectly ok. This year I had a mere 6kg each of white and black grapes, which, after (foot) crushing, took just a few minutes to wring out the remaining juice by hand.
Of course, you could use a washing machine's spin cycle, with the crushed fruit in a fine mesh bag and the outlet directed to a bucket. This is how it is typically done commercially, as it's the same principal: a centrifuge.

oogaboogachief said:
They make the best outdoor fire pit I have ever used. Save the tub that it fits in and you have a lid that fits over the whole drum. Mike

I've seen them used for this and it was amazing :thumb:

EDIT - even found a photo
P1010327.jpg

Ken L said:
For shame - commercial beer !

hahaha - it's not me and it was taken in Mexico... so Dos Equis seemed ok.. and was quite nice IIRC, although local tequila was also being drunk :drunk:

I burned a few arm loads last night in the back yard. Drank cheap store bought beer and thought about the good wine I could be drinking but never went to the cellar. Mike

Hawks said:
oogaboogachief said:

I've seen them used for this and it was amazing :thumb:

EDIT - even found a photo
P1010327.jpg

I'm tempted to try this , when the weather improves ! , looks like a good reason to sit outside and drink more wine .

Back