Very Vigorous Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h_doody

Reaction score
Brewed a Brewferm Tarwebier on Friday, and the next morning when I had a look at it the lid of the FV was almost blown off. Decided not to use an airlock as my other FV that has one is a badly cut hole + grommet that isn't perfect so I thought I might get away with it.

Had no idea how vigorous it was going to be and even after I put a lid with an airlock on stuff is still spilling out from the airlock and the lid is being pressed up quite far. Should I clean it all up and sterilize it and then put it back on? Will it be a good idea to put another lid on while I do that?

Here's a picture:

e6e7ejyj.jpg

would be better if you can replace the air lock with a blow off tube to contain the mess, otherwise just keep wiping up until its calmed down then remove and clean lid.

A blow-off tube, what's that?

I had no idea the fermentation was going to be like this, the other threw brews I've done have been nothing like this. This is the first time I've used a non-kit yeast though.

I don't know where you keep your FV but I remove the lid for a day or two then transfer to a second FV.

I had one very similar last year, the yeast, safale05, went ballistic :lol:

Just clean up best as you can, I left lid on and covered the hole while I removed airlock and bung, cleaned it up and replaced, as the others have said a couple if days and it won't be just as violent :thumb:

h_doody said:
A blow-off tube, what's that?

A blow off tube replaces the airlock with a length of tube which feeds into a container of water so any overflow gets stuck in the water but doesn't allow any contaminants to enter the brew.

Thanks guys. Not got the stuff to make a blow-off tube so I think I'll just clean it up as best I can.

h_doody said:
Thanks guys. Not got the stuff to make a blow-off tube so I think I'll just clean it up as best I can.

Looks like it'll be worth the effort matey :thumb:

That's not a vigorous fermentation

This is

IMG-20121022-00088_zps21504af0.jpg

or should I say the aftermath of. it blow the lid right off.

:rofl: :rofl:

Back