Ventilation / Steam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Since the attack of the killer slugs in my shed, I'm thinking maybe to move indoors until summer.
Problem is, my kitchen is not well ventilated and has full length doors rather than a window.
The cooker extractor is a good size but my brew kettle is a struggle to fit under with the basket lifted.
I can put the kettle on the floor or raised slightly on a plinth, but then it's not near the extractor.

I got a couple of carbon filters that clip onto a bayonet mount on the motor intakes (my hood vents to the outside by the way). They're 165mm diameter.
One is fitted as it should be on the left side of the motor intact, and one I dissected. I cut the felt off the back and tipped out the carbon pellets.

1606400381985.png

1606400445672.png

Next, fitted a length of flexible tube to it.

1606400529960.png

Then attached to the motor in the hood

1606400707713.png

And voila!

1606400867470.png

Not tested yet. What are my chances of success?

With lots of electrons. It's an electric 30L all in one.
I was planning to stand it on the cooker top but not to heat it with the cooker.
I just needed an indoor space where I can manage the steam, and the kitchen seemed the best idea.
No garage.

Does your extraction vent to outside? Daft question I know but some don't...I have the same hood as yours and it vents on its limit through a ducting in the ceiling out through a cowelled tile on my extension roof.

I'd rig up a supported lid over the kettle using a lid from one of those metal garden Incinerators that has the chimney top...fix it to the pipe.
Put a small table in front of your range for the kettle then have the lid on a rolling frame you can just push over the top.

I'd rig up a supported lid over the kettle using a lid from one of those metal garden Incinerators that has the chimney top...fix it to the pipe.
Put a small table in front of your range for the kettle then have the lid on a rolling frame you can just push over the top.

Don’t forget the deck chair and a small table for your pint.

Latest posts

Back