Using older grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from the Malt Miller Feb 8th 2023 similar post. To brew the best beer possible you need the freshest ingredients. There is a really good reason that pretty much the whole brewing world crushes malt directly into the mash tun ( or variations of ) except in the UK. In many countries, crushed malt is really hard to get.
Malt Miller don't know what they're talking about. To brew the best beer in the world, you need to be English. Sure, the Scots make a brew to wash down their whisky with and the Irish have successfully invented a way of disguising the mud in the Liffey, but no one can brew beer like the English, which is why everyone tries(and fails) to copy it. German beer? well, ask Stone Brewing about German drinkers- haven't moved on from lager and lime, really. Czech Pilsner? Ok while the barrels are being changed I suppose. Arrogant Basŧard? Your're talking to the original! Nothing Americans can tell us about hops- they think IPA is hop stew; delicacy and finesse doesn't come into it. And so on and so on ad nauseam.
Nothing to do with when the malt is crushed, plenty of breweries crush the malt the evening before the morning mash, England included. Now. The country that gave us Fosters! That thinks VB is a bitter! That sparkling ale isn't pop for kids. Do leave it out, Foxy. When it comes to brewing we're la crème de la menthe, as Del Boy would have it. And he should know.

Right. Who's round is it?
I'll have a pint of Stella, please, and a rum and pep for the old dad.

Last edited:
Why were you especially targeting cysteine? Flavour? Antioxidant properties? Effect on ingested alcohol?
I gather your beer tasted better without it.
I assumed the other enzymes might need some help as the grain was old, and bromium is supposed to be good at carving up proteins . I thought it was worth seeing if there was any noticible difference. As you referenced cysteine I'm now reading to see what it might actually have done. I steeped if for about 1 hr.

Nothing undrinkable just more like a cider.

I assumed the other enzymes might need some help as the grain was old, and bromium is supposed to be good at carving up proteins . I thought it was worth seeing if there was any noticible difference. As you referenced cysteine I'm now reading to see what it might actually have done. I steeped if for about 1 hr.

Nothing undrinkable just more like a cider.
I still have a few bottles so fetching one now. If I live forever I'll let everyone know.

Another who says just brew it. Make a stout and then if it is a bit meh, you can chill it and drink it with supermarket cider. "Don't waste foodstuffs for nothing" is my advice.
You may not have to live too much longer to remember fondly the good old days when it was even possible to make beer at all.

Nah all inventions have English roots :D
1000098081.png

The Scots want a word.

Malt Miller don't know what they're talking about. To brew the best beer in the world, you need to be English. Sure, the Scots make a brew to wash down their whisky with and the Irish have successfully invented a way of disguising the mud in the Liffey, but no one can brew beer like the English, which is why everyone tries(and fails) to copy it. German beer? well, ask Stone Brewing about German drinkers- haven't moved on from lager and lime, really. Czech Pilsner? Ok while the barrels are being changed I suppose. Arrogant Basŧard? Your're talking to the original! Nothing Americans can tell us about hops- they think IPA is hop stew; delicacy and finesse doesn't come into it. And so on and so on ad nauseam.
Nothing to do with when the malt is crushed, plenty of breweries crush the malt the evening before the morning mash, England included. Now. The country that gave us Fosters! That thinks VB is a bitter! That sparkling ale isn't pop for kids. Do leave it out, Foxy. When it comes to brewing we're la crème de la menthe, as Del Boy would have it. And he should know.

Right. Who's round is it?
I'll have a pint of Stella, please, and a rum and pep for the old dad.
Most craft brewers buy their malt already crushed. They have neither a room to crush the malt nor the facilities to keep it. England was a forerunner in brewing but have now been overtaken

Most craft brewers buy their malt already crushed. They have neither a room to crush the malt nor the facilities to keep it. England was a forerunner in brewing but have now been overtaken
No they haven't. Not by a mile. What a load of tosh. Go and taste the beer, it'll be an eye-opener.

If they haven't the room to keep it, then they won't be storing crushed malt either so it'll come, freshly crushed, from the maltings. The key word, here, is "freshly".

Why am I answering such tripe!

Last edited:
On yer bike Foxy, we are renowned the world over for brewing, one reason the Americans copied us most of europe make fizzy pop and you lot make swill acheers.athumb..:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

most of europe make fizzy pop and you lot make swill
I wish they'd stick to fizzy pop. I had a "west coast IPA " on Thursday night and it was undrinkable! Had to go on the fizzy blonde. West Coast of Brittany, I reckon. Probably Brest. You'd have to be a tit to pay for a second pint!
In fairness, I did have a decent IPA (pronounced eepa) in Madrid last year.

No they haven't. Not by a mile. What a load of tosh. Go and taste the beer, it'll be an eye-opener.

If they haven't the room to keep it, then they won't be storing crushed malt either so it'll come, freshly crushed, from the maltings. The key word, here, is "freshly".

Why am I answering such tripe!
It is freshly crushed, I didn't say it wasn't. Crushed grain starts to oxidise far quicker than a sack of uncrushed grain and is more hygroscopic.
Once the sack of uncrushed grain is opened the maltsters recommend using the remaining grain in the sack within 3 months.
I doubt very much any home brewer will keep the grain at the temperature (5-15C) and conditions they recommend.
https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/blog/storing-malt-how-to-store-your-malt-bags/
https://crispmalt.com/news/brewing-malt-storage-guide/
The common pitfalls a homebrewer will make is the following of anecdotal evidence rather than using quality-focused methods of brewing. But in saying that if they are happy with what they brew then keep doing it.

Because the pigeons love it.
On yer bike Foxy, we are renowned the world over for brewing, one reason the Americans copied us most of europe make fizzy pop and you lot make swill acheers.athumb..:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

Seems the 'to and from's' are copying the Americans now. Recipe from the brewer. It seems like there is a preference to American hops amongst a lot of UK brewers.
I have my carbonation very low as I just never have liked carbonation bite from the moment I tasted my first Pepsi.
https://byo.com/recipe/marble-beers-manchester-bitter-clone/

Last edited:
Back