Using jigsaw bags in a box

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallbatchhomebrew

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got bored of cleaning bottle so I've decided to try Jigsaw's bags in a box. I've been testing this with the 3ltr and 10ltr versions.

So my questions.

1) 1 bottle = 1 carbonation drop, so for 3 litres I've put 6 carbonation drops in to prime and carbonate the bag, think this is right?

2) Is this tap fully closed, I don't have the pliers but I cant close it anymore - see attached images.

The box is a bit wet as I split a bit whilst filling. I measured 3kg which should be close enough to 3L on a scales when filling.

3) How do I prevent the bag from exploding with carbonation? Should I just press the tap every few days to release some liquid/and pressure?

Advice needed! thanks!

2014-07-13 15.21.03.jpg

2014-07-13 15.21.09.jpg

The tap is not fully in. I believe the website does say that it is possible to remove the tap in this configuration to relieve pressure during secondary fermentation.
I have used the bag in a box and have not tried this as I fit my taps fully home and open the tap to release pressure ..but.. the bags appear to be made up of two layers and if the pressure builds up too much the gas gets between the bags and when you try and release the pressure the beer is forced out.
I have been experimenting to see how much pressure they will hold by reinforcing the box with cable ties and packing tape. I will be filling the next one this week and am going to give it a go without releasing any pressure this time.

I've used a lot of these boxes from Jigsaw.....all sizes.

They are not really any good for anyone who likes a fairly highly carbonated ale IMO.
For a full 20 litre bag, I would suggest no more than 35-40g of priming sugar.
As Dads_Ale says; they are a double lined bag and this can give you problems if the gas gets in between the layers; and it also stops you using the bags again.

If you do need to release any pressure, just stand the bag tap upward and crack it slightly.....you'll hear the gas escape.

These bags are best IMO when connected to a beer engine. Either that, or prime low and use a 'pocket beer engine' to give yourself a nice creamy top :hat:
Many people I know who use them with a beer engine don't even bother to prime.......you are going to have around 1.5 volumes of CO2 in the beer after fermenting.

Thanks both for the reply, I've pushed the tap further in, just needed to get my hands in the right position!

I guess I can just use the tap to relieve gas pressure, although there doesn't seem to be any indication of C02 yet, it has only been 1 day though after putting it in the bag. Can air leak out of the tap?

What do you mean by crack the bag slightly? Do you mean release the pressure with the tap a little bit?

I don't have a beer engine but the pocket engine method with the syringe looks very interesting.

How do I know when to release pressure, as obviously I want to force the c02 into the beer, so need to let some pressure build up for this. Is there a knack to know when to release excess gas?

Thanks all

Thanks both for the reply, I've pushed the tap further in, just needed to get my hands in the right position!

I guess I can just use the tap to relieve gas pressure, although there doesn't seem to be any indication of C02 yet, it has only been 1 day though after putting it in the bag. Can air leak out of the tap?

What do you mean by crack the bag slightly? Do you mean release the pressure with the tap a little bit?

I don't have a beer engine but the pocket engine method with the syringe looks very interesting.

How do I know when to release pressure, as obviously I want to force the c02 into the beer, so need to let some pressure build up for this. Is there a knack to know when to release excess gas?

Thanks all

I think you are trying to bend the laws of physics to be honest, because with the best will in the world, a plastic bag isn't going to hold sufficient pressure to "force the CO2 into the beer" - the bag would explode before that happens.

I think bag in a box are really designed for wines and still drinks such as farmhouse cider etc. As mentioned by the previous poster, using them with a beer engine will enliven a brew pulled from a bag in box, but that's really the only way to achieve it with these things, other than the pocket beer engine.

I tend to keg ales, stouts, porters etc and bottle my lagers and ciders. My PolyPin bag in a box is used for BBQ wines and decent wines get bottled and corked. Kegs are very convenient and you can get really good results if they are used properly.

FatCol

As FatCol said you will not be able to force carbonate with these. they are really designed to dispense fully conditioned or bright beer i.e. no secondary fermentation.

You will soon see if the bag expands. I would set it tap up with the end undone and use the tap to relive pressure. Just beware, if the gas gets between the two bags it will expel the liquid and make a mess.

I didn't relieve the pressure on mine (on purpose) and they ended up looking like a football. Still the carbonation was as good as my PB if not as good as bottling.

Back