Us-04

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone was asking about this yeast, well I used it last Wednesday in a bitter, I am kegging it later 1042 to 1010 hitting the 4.2% target Fermented at 19c in the all rounder at 8psi, it has not even been cold crashed, it is nice but will get better, I know us-04 is a marmite it is my first time using it would I use it again well yes I will
IMG_1669.jpeg
IMG_1670.jpeg
IMG_1668.jpeg
IMG_1668.jpeg

I've really liked S-04 when I've used it. Produced some really faithful flavours in an English Bitter and Dark Mild for me. Flocculates and sticks like mad too.

Love S-04.
Does its job, says goodbye and disappears to the bottom.
US-05 is always floating around waiting for an encore.
So..given 04 and 05 are "English" ale or "U.S." ale,both different styles in fruity type esters or a clean palate to promote hops....there's a definite style and outcome value especially for homebrewers and maybe micro brewers unless using finings. Could they be a standard with Notty in the middle?

I've used S04 a number of times in the past and it's only recently I've had success with it. I've found on a number of batches that once it hits 1.020 it stops. And I'm not the only one it seems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=s-04 1.020&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Last batch, an irish export stout did finish as expected but not sure why S-04 seems to give up at 1.020, for me anyway.

Not had any stalling with S-04 here, it's very reliable.
I use either Fermentis S-04 or WHC Bond.
68-72% attenuation with 0.7g/L pitched dry at 20C. I hold at 18-19C for 10 days
Mash temp 68C. I cold crash for a further 4 days.
Pretty neutral. I use it in our best bitter and stout.
I like the predictability and floc, it drops like a stone and makes racking to casks very simple.

I'm a fan of Notty over S04. I've never made a beer I've liked with S04 unfortunately and I've tried it in three to four batches now.

I find the esters too intense and I didn't ferment high on any batch either - I even tried fermenting low and slow on one of them but still didn't like the flavours it produced.

S04 does definitely seem to be the marmite yeast :D

Always find Notty, particularly, and S-04 in isolation, too bland for anything British. Designed to be utilitarian rather than adding character to a beer, and as a result, probably partly to blame for the liquid being better than dry debate. British beer styles should be a balance of malt, hops and fruity esters. Better for styles that have a US influence.

Last edited:
Always find Notty, particularly, and S-04 in isolation, too bland for anything British. Designed to be utilitarian rather than adding character to a beer, and as a result, probably partly to blame for the liquid being better than dry debate. British beer styles should be a balance of malt, hops and fruity esters. Better for styles that have a US influence.
It's interesting how all our experiences with certain yeasts seem completely different - I guess it's horses for courses thing/a case of different palettes.

Out of interest, what yeast would you use for British ales? The only other one I've used is London Ale III (Clipper from CML), which I think is a great all-rounder tbh!

Out of interest, what yeast would you use for British ales?
I approximate the concept of a multi-strain house yeast, with convenience of dry yeast, by blending. I currently use Windsor for it's red apple and tropical ester, with lesser amounts of BE256 for attenuation, banana and stone fruit esters, and Notty for flocculation. I may go on to adding or swapping in K-97 for it's floral esters, or a mildly phenolic belgian yeast could be an option.

Apparently, Lallemand Windsor, Nottingham, London and the discontinued Manchester, were all isolated from one brewery yeast.

Latest posts

Back