Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We X Posted -

You can now get a lot of car for less than £40,000 and that works out at only £100 a year for the first two years.

Some you wouldn't think would be on the list -

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/best/electric-cars-under-40000

The Tesla and Audi are under £40,000 new and the BMW only came out in 2023 so as close to new as you can get.

1729258988819.png

1729258317483.png

1729258327193.png

1729258335517.png

1729258344245.png

Last edited:
We X Posted -

You can now get a lot of car for less than £40,000 and that works out at only £100 a year for the first two years.

Some you wouldn't think would be on the list -

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/best/electric-cars-under-40000

View attachment 104952

View attachment 104953

View attachment 104954

View attachment 104955
The only one in that list that actually comes in under £40k is the Tesla Model 3. And only barely at that. The rest are all used prices.

Example: "...the Mercedes EQB only comes in under budget if you shop nearly new and used examples." or "Shopping e-tron examples that are just a few years old means you could get a full-blown luxury EV for the price of a regular premium model."

There are lots of good new EV's under £40,000 that will only cost you £100 for the first two years then £190 from 3 years on, if you must have a berty big b*******s car over that price then the extra £12.50 a week is not going to put you off as you will be saving much more each week not running the petrol guzzling equivalent while paying the same amount in road fund licence..

Last edited:
There are lots of good new EV's under £40,000 that will only cost you £100 for the first two years then £190 from 3 years on, if you must have a berty big b*******s car over that price then the extra £12.50 a week is not going to put you off as you will be saving much more each week not running the petrol guzzling equivalent while paying the same amount in road fund licence..
Again, not the point. A car that was 10k under the ceiling when it was brought in 7 years ago is now over the ceiling and suddenly an "expensive car". The same car. Not a "berty big ******" or whatever you want to call it.

Again, not the point. A car that was 10k under the ceiling when it was brought in 7 years ago is now over the ceiling and suddenly an "expensive car". The same car. Not a "berty big ******" or whatever you want to call it.

Look at the part in red they are not backdating it -

Electric car rates from 1 April 2025​

Electric cars first registered on or after 1 April 2025: will pay the lowest rate of tax (first year rate), currently £10.

From the second year on, the standard rate kicks in and owners will need to pay £190 a year - the same rate petrol and diesel owners pay today (if they have a car first registered after 1 April 2017).

If the electric car costs £40,000 or more when new, the expensive car supplement will be added to the standard rate for five years.

As it adds to the standard rate, you will pay a supplementary rate during years two to six of ownership. Based on on today’s rates, that would mean electric car owners would pay an extra £410 on top of the standard rate of £190, to spend a total of £600 per year, for years two to six of ownership, before dropping back down to the standard rate from year seven of ownership and on.

Electric cars first registered between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2025: will also pay £190 per year from April 2025.

The £40,000 expensive car supplement is not being backdated, so an electric car first registered in 2024, for example, will not have to pay the supplementary rate of £410 on top of the standard rate from April 2025.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/car-tax-explained-aqnPf4D3c26Y

but people dont look at it that way.
they will look and go - "EV and i have to pay expensive car tax and from year 2 £190 per year - £600 a year tax for an EV???????
then £600-1000 for a charger!?!?!?!?!
and i cant do an emergency run from Edinburgh to Bristol with 5 kids to see my critically ill mother, whilst towing a 2 tonne horse trailer.. without stopping?
narrr, not for me pal, I'll stick with my diesel passat"

they dont look and say - ohhh £3000 in road tax over 5 years and a charger install, but based on 15,000 miles per year at home charging and switching to OVO ev tarrif - [gets calculator out] - I'll be spending £11,000 in diesel or paying [gets calculator out] £350 in electricity. So over 5 years I will be 8 grand up!"

and you can spend over £40k on an EV vauxhall astra..... hardly a berty car.

then you have company car users - i can see lease companies adding £60-60 a month on leases to cover this tax - meaning that half decent cars will now be over the threshold on monthly lease amounts for lots of users, so they will be instead forced to either have a really cheap EV with poor range, or will more likely just opt for an ICE car and suffer the BIK hit.

they will look and go - "EV and i have to pay expensive car tax and from year 2 £190 per year - £600 a year tax for an EV???????

They will be paying the same road fund licence if they choose a petrol they are not saving by not buying an EV -

1729263587612.png

Look at the part in red they are not backdating it -

Electric car rates from 1 April 2025​

Electric cars first registered on or after 1 April 2025: will pay the lowest rate of tax (first year rate), currently £10.

From the second year on, the standard rate kicks in and owners will need to pay £190 a year - the same rate petrol and diesel owners pay today (if they have a car first registered after 1 April 2017).

If the electric car costs £40,000 or more when new, the expensive car supplement will be added to the standard rate for five years.

As it adds to the standard rate, you will pay a supplementary rate during years two to six of ownership. Based on on today’s rates, that would mean electric car owners would pay an extra £410 on top of the standard rate of £190, to spend a total of £600 per year, for years two to six of ownership, before dropping back down to the standard rate from year seven of ownership and on.

Electric cars first registered between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2025: will also pay £190 per year from April 2025.

The £40,000 expensive car supplement is not being backdated, so an electric car first registered in 2024, for example, will not have to pay the supplementary rate of £410 on top of the standard rate from April 2025.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/car-tax-explained-aqnPf4D3c26Y
I didn't say it was being backdated. Seriously, do you actually read my posts?

I said:
1. It was a £40k ceiling back in 2017. 7 years ago.
2. That it's still £40k now despite the fact that allowing for inflation that same car would have cost £30k in 2017
3. To further simplify (2) If you bought a new £30k car in 2017 it would be £10k under the ceiling. If you bought the exact same car now, brand new, it would be over the ceiling.

So as the thread is quite old let's see how opinions have changed -

To those that have owned or still own a EV -

1 - Do you still think it was a good move and prefer it to a ICE car?

2 - Will you buy another or go back to ICE while you still can?

3 - How many members own an ICE car and would like to change?

4 - How many will be making the change in the near future?

Last edited:
I cannot answer 1 and 2

3 I would love to try a EV but have no off street parking so it wouldn't be worth swapping

4 With luck on street charging will become a thing in the near future then I may make the switch

Last edited:

1. Yes.
2. Unlikely to go back to petrol. If the sums made sense I possibly would. Not weirdly ideologically wedded to what fuels my car.

1) Yes

2) Yes - actually looking at options to replace my 100k+ mile Tesla in the new year. EV's still make far more sense for my high mileage lifestyle. Road tax changes won't impact on that.

1. Yes
2. Is a bit ambiguously worded as it's a double question. So yes and no to that one.

To expand a bit on that. I have always owned ICE cars, still have a couple, but they're for specific purposes that I wouldn't use the EV for. The EV is the main car and used every day. When I think back on all the issues with diesel and petrol cars I've owned and can tick them off as nope, nope, nope, not going to have those problems with my EV, I'd be mad to go back.

1. Yes, loved it.
2. Yes, picking up new EV next weekend.
3. Also have an ICE on the drive.
4. See 2

Latest posts

Back