Turning ferrous metal to non ferrous

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
I won't bother you with the details but if you had a piece of ferrous metal and dipped it in candle wax, would it be safe to use with beer?

Any metal containing iron is considered ferrous. Stainless steel is ferrous. Copper, zinc, aluminum, magnesium, etc are non-ferrous.

I won't bother you with the details but if you had a piece of ferrous metal and dipped it in candle wax, would it be safe to use with beer?
It's an unusual question and it needs the details. The bottom line is that if the beer comes into contact with iron for any length of time, it will taint the beer. Candle wax would work if it provided a good coating for the period of contact, but it's pretty fragile: easy to scratch, easy to melt etc. Why are you considering risking a batch of beer?

G’Day Phildo79, I once visited a 'Traditional Winery' and they coated their mild steel and wooden fermentation vessels with natural wax. The bloke explained a lot about the old ways of fermentation and how it was organic, sustainable, yada yada, I bought a case - wish I hadn’t…..

I agree with @An Ankoù , I think some context would help here. There are a few types of ferrous metals, a couple of which you wouldn’t need to coat at all, as they would be safe to use in contact with beer. Stainless steel for instance.
I wouldn’t necessarily want candle wax bobbing about in my beer either. Candle wax can contain some fairly harsh chemicals to aid in burn time. You can get food grade wax though. But it’s a bit more expensive.

I am with AA and Fireside give us a idea of why and what you are trying to do there maybe a better answer to what you want to do

I suspect the OP is trying to prevent his beer by being spoilt by malign forces and wishes to harness the warding properties of iron to keep imps, sprites, korrigans etc well away from his cauldron.

1617181174967.png
A Korrigan. Can't move for the little blighters in these parts.

Last edited:
Nosey, nosey, nosey.

Nah, I bought a strong magnet and some stir bars so I could attach a bag of hops to the underside of a keg lid during fermentation. Then when ready, remove the magnet and start the dry hoping process with having to open the keg. However, the stir bars are tiny and I worried they might not aid in holding the bag. I was correct. I would say they might normally work but I am brewing a NEIPA and the dry hop amount is 147g. The magnet came with a piece of metal already attached and I reckon it could do the job but I have no idea what sort of metal it is, so didn't risk it. But I wondered if coating it in wax would be an option.

You could put your dry hops in bag with some glass beads and suspend it with a bit of fishing line which you could then spray with a bit of no-rinse before lowering it ceremoniously and with a fanfare of trumpets into the beer. You'd only have to open the lid a tiny bit to let the line slide. Even better, you could twitch the line now and then to distribute the goodness.

I have tried something like that before and the first time I did it, I seated the lid. Every time after though, I just couldn't seat the lid fully. I was hoping to start carbing the beer after the first couple of days of fermentation and the fishing line might prevent that. I will just open it up and bung them in quickly and seal the keg. With the blanket of co2, oxygen contact will be minimal at best.

I worried that someone had a source of radiation in surplus, and was trying to play "Philosopher's Stone" by turning ferrous metals into non-ferrous ones...

@phildo79
Nosey, nosey, nosey.

Nah, I bought a strong magnet and some stir bars so I could attach a bag of hops to the underside of a keg lid during fermentation. Then when ready, remove the magnet and start the dry hoping process with having to open the keg. However, the stir bars are tiny and I worried they might not aid in holding the bag. I was correct. I would say they might normally work but I am brewing a NEIPA and the dry hop amount is 147g. The magnet came with a piece of metal already attached and I reckon it could do the job but I have no idea what sort of metal it is, so didn't risk it. But I wondered if coating it in wax would be an option.
Know anyone who could vacuum pack it for you? Essentially coating it in food grade plastic.

Latest posts

Back