Turbo Cider Newbie Stuff

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
So I've just bottled a TC after about 24 days in the FV. I used ale yeast which I think lead to the loooong fermentation.

SG 1054
FG 1004
Abv 6.5% ish

Bottled with 1 tsp sugar and varying amounts of sweetener as a test.

My question is when should I crack one open? Is it the same as beer where it will condition or does it just need to carb up?

Cheers! :drunk:

Hi

I did my first t.c. in March and it had a finishing abv of approx 6% and has been sitting in bottles for about 5 weeks.

I thought tonight would be time for a little tester. I didn't use any sugar during fermentation but did to prime.....just a little warning, it went off like a fountain! What remained in the bottle was ok, obviously lively but tasted pretty good.

I treated it like any kit brew or anything else really and gave it time to sit and mature. I am going to leave the rest for a couple more weeks hoping it calms down a little (or maybe open outside!).

Dan

As with anything homebrewed, you can open it up any time (obv it at least needs 2 weeks to carb), but everything improves with some age.

I have had some very lively ciders. It won't calm down with time. I ease the lid open til 'gassing', let it get near to leaking out, and re-tighten. I do it til it isn't mad and leave to resettle. It doesn't take long to re-clear since the sediment has clumped into heavier globs. I have been caught out with volcano bottles but since I bottle into coopers plastic its my fault, since when they are gonna be like that they are rock hard. If ok they usually have a little give when they have good carbonation. Hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back