To airlock or not to airlock.... or little bit of both?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teabicky

Reaction score
My primary fermentation bin came with no airlock. At the time I was told that this was a problem so I added one myself, since then I have read many things suggesting that an airlock is not necessary. All you need to do is leave the lid on without sealing it, just resting it on top loosely. For my first brew I left the lid on loosely for about 48 hours and then closed it to let the airlock do the work (during this time I witnessed no airlock activity). The brew is still conditioning so i'm not sure how it is gone, but to cut to the chase, I was just wondering how people feel about airlocks and what they do when they brew.

Cheers :cheers:

I have FV's with airlocks and without ive never had any issues with either i just snap lid on and leave usually the co2 produced will find a way of escaping if not it will pop lid off no worries or you can just leave the lid rested on

For beer brewing I open ferment - no air lock and usually the lid is missing as well :D
Never had any issues in the FV my only contamination came in the barrel.

For wine making I always use an air lock :grin:

We ferment under airlock. It depends on your fv if the airlock bubbles as the cheaper fvs leak around the lid. The airlock also gives you a clue if fermentation has finished too :D

Have mostly used airlocks (only because i'm paranoid of me brew getting contaminated), not that I
had a problem with first few kits done without! Personally I just like the assurance of having a
visible indicator that me yeast is doing it's job with a reassuring blob- blob eminating from the
spare room! Just be careful of volcanic like coopers kits spilling up through the airlock in a desperate
bid for freedom!!!!!!!

for primary I just sit the lid on the fv, for secondary I snap the lid on.
I don't use airlocks cos I don't need them.

I use airlocks on all my FV........just love the sound in me shed when all 4 FV are plip plopping.
It give you are good idea when fermentation has finished rather than opening the FV & messing about which could lead to a spoilt brew.

I never use an airlock - I just make sure that the airborne beasties and dust cannot get in.

As an aside, I've had a tour of the Caledonian Brewery and they used open fermenters adn they have a walkway where you look over the top onto them. The tour guide said that they once had a group of students and one of the them fell in and drowned. However he did have to get out twice before that to go to the toilet. :whistle:

:rofl:
:thumb:
Dunfie said:
The tour guide said that they once had a group of students and one of the them fell in and drowned.

Damn .. and I thought you were going to say that he also added that his ghost walks the brewery at night!

I always use one on both primary and secondary. It's very little trouble to fit one on and I like to be doubly sure that the nasties are kept at bay.

I never ever airlock with beer,ager,cider,ale etc and have never had a problem. Just crack open the lid about 6 inches and snap shut the rest of the lid. I can assure you that is what works
:drink:

Never used one on the FV. as I ferment on the landing the plop plop would keep me awake. Some off the best beers in the country are brewed in open fermenters, I would have thought they would be more paranoid about infections then we are.

Wow. When I saw this tittle I didn't think the posts would go this way. I've always airlocked cause well they're cheap so why risk all that wonderful liquid.

Now this may be utter nonsense DB, but I've found when making TC under an air lock it tends to draw the yeast head up to the extent where it comes out through the airlock.
Whereas if I put a tea towel over the top until the madness has passed, the head behaves it's self (fermenter with 4" cap).

Ok.... Sorry bout this but tea towel? So it sounds like there is enough positive pressure in early ferment that concerns are much lower?

Wow, thanks for all the replies.... :thumb:

It definitely seems to be a case of personal choice. I think that I am gonna continue to hedge my bets. For the first 48 hours I'll let it breath with the lid on loose and then ill tighten the lid and use the airlock.

I read somewhere that letting oxygen get to the brew in the early stages is actually beneficial.... it supposedly helps to prevent that well known 'eggy' pong.

evanvine said:
teabicky said:
I read somewhere that letting oxygen get to the brew in the early stages is actually beneficial
Put simply; yeast in the presence of oxygen is more concerned with reproducing it's self, when there is no oxygen it produces alcohol!
Actually not strictly true . . .In the presence of Glucose at > 4% Yeast will respire anaerobically no matter how much oxygen is present (The Crabtree effect) . . . They reproduce with or without oxygen . . . it's just when respiring aerobically they do so much more efficiently. . . . They utilise the oxygen we add at the beginning of fermentation to create ergosterol which is used in building cell walls after they have divided/budded. Quite often the ergosterol is laid down as a reserve for subsequent repitchings . . . rather than during the current fermentation

Latest posts

Back