Tips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I always tip the staff at our favourite pub when we have a meal they go the extra mile every time and deserve it.

I would hate it if we had the compulsory tip system some countries have they should only get a tip if they deserve it customers shouldn't feel obliged to tip them, if the tight companies paid a fair wage their staff wouldn't have to rely on tips to make a decent wage.

1726429814857.png

Not entirely convinced it is genuine. Saw a screen shot recently of a tip option on a cash machine, not convinced that was real either.

I think there is more pressure to tip in America though.

Has anyone subtracted an automatically added tip ?

Not entirely convinced it is genuine. Saw a screen shot recently of a tip option on a cash machine, not convinced that was real either.

Has anyone subtracted an automatically added tip ?
Yes once.
We asked for it to be removed as we wanted to tip in cash to ensure it wasn't swallowed by the head office.

That's in USA where tipping is practically compulsory and more entrenched in their culture than in the UK, staff depend on tips to make up their wages.
You realise that pretty quick by the service you get.

That's in USA where tipping is practically compulsory and more entrenched in their culture than in the UK, staff depend on tips to make up their wages.
You realise that pretty quick by the service you get.

I think it stinks, as i said earlier they should be paid a decent wage they shouldn't rely on tips to make their wages up.

In theory everybody gets the minimum wage in the UK so tips are not needed to make up wages.
I have tipped in the UK before the minimum wage but more when I have been abroad in countries that do not have wages policies when I have received good service.
I rarely tip now in the UK as they do get the minimum wage now and nobody ever tips me and I provide a service in my job.

I believe that is fake. Tipping is between the waiter and the customer, not the establishment.
It doesn’t make sense to turn away custom over tipping. It isn’t compulsory, even in America unless the establishment says a 20% is expected and can charge the card for it.

Has anyone subtracted an automatically added tip?

Yup, every time. A gratuity is at my discretion so I always remove it if automatically added. In fact it annoys me so much that it often stops me leaving anything.

I visited a brewery in florida , you had to pre authorise your card to run up a tab. They had a sign saying something like "We add 30% tip if you leave without finalising your bill" .
My issue with tipping in the states is the last time I was there a 16oz "pint" of craft beer was around $10, plenty of profit on that to pay a decent wage . Prices have gone up there across the board, and it's already expensive without adding the now expected minimum 20%.

It has to be pretty bad service/food/haircut for me to not tip, but when I've been in the US the whole tipping thing is on another level! That said, I doubt this is real.

I am glad that as much as some restaurant card readers that suggest 18-25% tips would like us to believe we are not yet in the same situation as America where it seems 20%+ tipping has become the norm. If service and food is truly excellent I don’t mind tipping but I do not want to be in a situation where wait staff make the majority of their income from tipping, rather than from their employer.

Our local supermarket card reader asks you to click a small green or red square to give money to charity or not before you pay for your goods it really annoys me every time I use it.

At least it's not like Turkey. Whilst there in May there was outrage that restaurants were charging service charge and something which translated to 'waiters wage'. So 20% + twice. No wonder the ex pats were kicking off in the local English papers

I visited a brewery in florida , you had to pre authorise your card to run up a tab. They had a sign saying something like "We add 30% tip if you leave without finalising your bill" .
My issue with tipping in the states is the last time I was there a 16oz "pint" of craft beer was around $10, plenty of profit on that to pay a decent wage . Prices have gone up there across the board, and it's already expensive without adding the now expected minimum 20%.
Lots of places charge less than $10.

Latest posts

Back