Threaded wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you can, with a couple of caveats

Firstly the size of the inside of the top varies a lot, so make sure the cork is a tight fit (I tried reusing screw top bottles with the ridged plastic corks but gave up cos some wouldn't go in at all, some were just right, and lots were way too loose).

Secondly if you plan to put a shrink top over the cork then it's going to look horrible.

I corked some screw top bottles. Generally speaking the corks are too small for the bottles and they can leak when lying flat plus the top of the bottle is thinner meaning that it is possible that you could smash the top of the bottle.

GREBO75 said:
I tried reusing screw top bottles with the ridged plastic corks but gave up cos some wouldn't go in at all, some were just right, and lots were way too loose.
And this is why (if I haven't also got the screw cap to re-use) I test the fit of a plastic stopper in all screw necked bottles before I bother removing labels, keep the ones which fit just right and recycle the rest.

You can cork them, with caution.

There must be a market, or at least the start of a market, for replacement and/or reusable screw tops...?

I looked at buying new caps for screw-tops, what put me off was the gizmo to roll-down the tamper-evident bit on the bottom - some ridiculous price around £100 (the one in the link above is EUR99).

I cork them regularly with no ill effects. I think they look just fine with a shrink wrapped top. Mike

I cork these all the time using both synthetic and cork corks (that looks kinda strange ha ha), and I've not had any problems! :thumb:

Cheers Chris.

Back