The Mixed Fermentation Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I don't order from GeB (absolutely nothing against them whatsoever , it's just I get all my malt in bulk elsewhere or with hops from CML) so it was looking a bit pricy once you factored in delivery, so I thought I'd take a punt on ebay. Probably end up with bread yeast or something :laugh8:

I thought it was the general consensus was that Brettanomyces bruxellensis was the main strain found in keeping ales of all types, with Brettanomyces Claussenii mostly in keeping stouts / porters?

I thought it was the general consensus was that Brettanomyces bruxellensis was the main strain found in keeping ales of all types, with Brettanomyces Claussenii mostly in keeping stouts / porters?
I don't know, I've never come across that. My understanding was that Claussenii was the one attributed to that 'British taste' via being part of the pitched yeast, and Stouts/Porters contained a greater range as a result of vat ageing. Interesting.

Could be either. Different brewery, different contamination. There's a pretty convincing opinion that Orval is the closet beer in production to historic IPAs.

HBT has a thread on BR-8 - it seems to be OK, without thrilling :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fermentis-br-8-dry-brettanomyces-experiences.726844/

Certainly for me, claussenii feels right with British styles - Brux can overwhelm things a bit. And my experience is that a 2:1 blend of fresh to Bretted is even better, which funnily enough is roughly what was done traditionally (and still is in small corners of certain Belgian breweries)

Same, I've got the Chevallier, Saaz and Goldings for another batch of this. I've lost my oak chunks though, so I'll use some fresh ones with the dregs from one of my few remaining bottles.
Have just mashed in my next mixed fermentation brew, it's an amalgamation of a couple of 1868 Wm. Younger Stock Ale recipes, which will be primary fermented with Sacchromyces, then racked to a corny keg with some dry hops and oak chunks that are home to Brett C. It'll be the fifth time I've used these oak chunks since the initial batch that was pitched with a vial of WLP645. Its a great way of storing and transferring Brettanomyces from one brew to the next.

The recipe is 5Kg Chevallier malt, mashed at 66C for 90 Minutes. 20L Batch.
OG1.062. 6.5% Abv before Bretting. 60 IBUs.

90minute boil with:
First Gold (37.5g) - 35 IBUs @ First Wort.
Styrian Goldings (40g) - 15 IBUs @ 60 Minutes
Saaz (10g) & Hersbrucker (42.5g) - 10 IBUs @ 30 Minutes

I'm using a 50/50 pitch of Liberty Bell and S-33.

Aged for a year with 45g Saaz dry hop, and Oak chunks to replicate the barrel aging process of the 1800's.

Have some 2 year old blueberry bushes that prdouce very little fruit, and the few they do are very tart. Rather than waste am attempting to catch some wild yeast.

Had some leftover wort from the witbier brew. Is 13ibu, so should stop any LAB. Possibly should have diluted the wort (was 1.046 so a little on the strong side for this sort of thing) and do wonder if there's too much headspace; but something seems to be happening.

1000073787.jpg

Back