The Homemade Pizza Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another poolish, 40% for 12 hours then 10hrs bulk prove. Final dough was 65% hydration. Big crustage, very tasty.

IMG_3391.jpeg

Another poolish, 40% for 12 hours then 10hrs bulk prove. Final dough was 65% hydration. Big crustage, very tasty.

View attachment 100735
I think I used my dough before it had a proper bulk prove but I have plenty left and it has again doubled in size so I will make a few with it tomorrow and see if I get a better crust. It was a very tasty base and crust though

1718537849278.jpeg

Another 40% Poolish (II), made with the bread-maker (Panasonic) using their "Ciabata" method. Creating the "Culture" (Poolish!) wasn't very good as it didn't do the mixing too well (dived in with a spatula to mix it better. As per @grooves prompting ... thanks again!). Note this wasn't "bulk fermented" as such, went stright into my "shaping boxes" after mixing the maindough, for 36 hours. Had a quick hand knead beforehand.

You can tell the dough is stronger than in my previous attempts, the damn pizza sprung back to a smaller diameter after shaping!

I did have a "Panini" the day prior having created a Ciabata from half the dough the day before. That worked too. Next I'll knock out two pizzas (stretching them better) with half the dough creating Ciabata in the cooling pizza oven (for tea the next day)..

View attachment 100768

Another 40% Poolish (II), made with the bread-maker (Panasonic) using their "Ciabata" method. Creating the "Culture" (Poolish!) wasn't very good as it didn't do the mixing too well (dived in with a spatula to mix it better. As per @grooves prompting ... thanks again!). Note this wasn't "bulk fermented" as such, went stright into my "shaping boxes" after mixing the maindough, for 36 hours. Had a quick hand knead beforehand.

You can tell the dough is stronger than in my previous attempts, the damn pizza sprung back to a smaller diameter after shaping!

I did have a "Panini" the day prior having created a Ciabata from half the dough the day before. That worked too. Next I'll knock out two pizzas (stretching them better) with half the dough creating Ciabata in the cooling pizza oven (for tea the next day)..
Baked bean pizza? I don't think I've seen that before.

Just got the gas one from Homebase. 12” £100 and if you sign up to Homebase you get 10% off. It’s decent enough for occasional pizzas. Gets hot very quickly. It did 4 pizzas in 10 mins View attachment 100787
That really looks the part, and you can’t argue with the price. Nice!

View attachment 100768

When I'm shaping pizza I use a rolling pin, hold the dough in one corner (I make square pizzas) and roll the opposite corner and then hold it for a bit, then do the opposite corners. Then let it rest for a few minutes and do it again and repeat until its the right size. Mine would always spring back if I didn't have the rests between stretches.

I made pizza last night. The past few times I've subbed about 100g of flour for semolina which seems to work. For shaping the dough I use a tray which I cover in a mixture of flour and semolina and push the dough out by hand. I like all the bubbles that appear in the dough.

I made pizza last night. The past few times I've subbed about 100g of flour for semolina which seems to work. For shaping the dough I use a tray which I cover in a mixture of flour and semolina and push the dough out by hand. I like all the bubbles that appear in the dough.
I'm sure you've said that before. I started using semolina in the dough and dusting the work surface with it after reading a post about it. It makes the pizza a bit crispier and stops it sticking to the work surface, then it comes of the peel more easily when putting it in the oven.
It's good to use it the same way in fresh pasta as well.

When I'm shaping pizza I use a rolling pin, hold the dough in one corner (I make square pizzas) and roll the opposite corner and then hold it for a bit, then do the opposite corners. Then let it rest for a few minutes and do it again and repeat until its the right size. Mine would always spring back if I didn't have the rests between stretches.
Rolling pin!!! :oops:

You could come round and visit and I'll demonstrate what these four wooden pegs hammered 6ft apart in my wall are for. And it's not pizzas they're for stretching.

I'm six foot three so you'd have to move them apart a bit :laugh8:
Thanks to Leonardo da Vinci I had that covered! 6'3'' will be easy-peasy.

1718648025875.png

I'll probably have to get Boris in to give a hand; paid in pizza he'll do anything. The neighbours don't seem to mind the noise ... well, they're all sheep aren't they.

Latest posts

Back