The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can kind of understand women stockpiling bog roll, I use a roll a week, the missus a roll a day lol.
What I can't understand is some of the panic buying I've seen blokes do.
I actually saw a bloke buy, not 1, nor 2, nor 3, but 4 cases of Carling in Tesco.
That, my muckers, is proper senseless panic buying.
:confused.:

I struggied getting my normal week's shop today, my partner has been run ragged in the fruit and veg shop yesterday nearly cleared the whole shop out of spuds n veg, its madness.

I can kind of understand women stockpiling bog roll, I use a roll a week, the missus a roll a day lol.
What I can't understand is some of the panic buying I've seen blokes do.
I actually saw a bloke buy, not 1, nor 2, nor 3, but 4 cases of Carling in Tesco.
That, my muckers, is proper senseless panic buying.
:confused.:
Even 1 can of Carling should be a warning signal something isn’t right

Jesus Christ that is desperation.

Mind you it was an evil ******* that decided to turn **** into alcohol in the first place. I mean that’s really sick.
You know it’s bad when the only way you can drink it is so cold you can’t taste it.
And even then you have to deal with the truth, somewhere in your mind.
Can you really convince yourself to drink this?
Maybe the meths would be better...!

Panic Buying Toilet Rolls is a sign of the times I guess!

When I was a lad not one house in our village had anything as posh as a toilet roll (or even an inside toilet)! This I knew because all the neighbours toilets were at the end of the garden and were used as shelters in the rain and as places to play games like hide and seek. Not very hygienic and fraught with danger if there was someone in there when you were trying to hide!

Rather than toilet rolls and toilet roll holders, all of the toilets had a length of string with a loop at one end and a 4" nail at the other. The nail was used to push through the squares of newspaper that were attached to the string and then slid sideways to prevent the squares falling off when the loop end of the string was hung on a nail at the back of the toilet door.

Very occasionally someone in the family may be taken short away from home, relatives or neighbours and have to "spend a penny" in a Public Toilet. This activity was often shared amongst many by the simple process of holding the door ajar until everyone in the family (male and female) had "been".

These toilets were provided with a product called "Izal Toilet Paper", which was usually embossed with the message "Property of Mansfield Council" or other notation in an attempt to reduce thieving!

To be honest, these small 3" squares of very thin and shiny paper weren't worth stealing! They seemed to be more designed to "buff and polish" than "wipe" and normally needed to be scrunched and crumpled before they could be used effectively.

I think at the same time as toilet paper became available we saw the introduction of tinned Dog Food in the form of Chappie; which brings back two memories:
  1. My Dad saying "Why the hell would anyone buy a tin of dog food and then throw scraps away?" I well remember Judy, our rather skinny dog, looking at my Dad and wondering in which Universe any of our family would throw food away!
  2. I haven't seen a white dog turd for well over forty years! These were common in my youth because the dogs were often fed on bread crusts; and they had the consistency of concrete!
Happy Days!

Loo roll??? Get a bum sprayer!!! Common in Asia and Egypt;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOILET-B...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

We now have 3 positives on Tiree,,,, Docs and Vets(???) lock-downed. Don't think of running here to escape C19.
We are looking at total lock-down even here on the Atlantic edge. Went to pub for last chance F&C supper, 3 people there. They will shut down next. Thankfully, Got 50 l Cream blonde and 25 l Cidree to survive on.

Stay safe people and keep your sanitiser stocks well hidden,,, good luck everyone!

To be fair they've said lots of times that those with diabetes, chronic cardiac and lung disease are worst affected. I think the latest news is that heart problems seem to be the most important factor with regards to mortality.
To add to that there are those going through cancer treatment which will be quite a lot, the chemotherapy depletes the immune system no end. One sees adds for health pills to build up the immune system, problem is no one really knows what can boost the immune system other that a good balanced diet. Lots of offal, full of nutrition, minerals and iron with lots of greens and fruit, that's what I will go for.
That is if you can get any, went to the supermarket this morning not even a sausage on the shelves never mind meat. Wife asked me to get some powdered milk, got to the isle an Asian woman and her husband had cleared the shelf of all the powdered milk and their trolley was loaded with it. Took it from their trolley with a,'Thank you for saving it for me' They just don't understand that it is action like theirs which is causing all the empty shelves in the first place.

Just got a phone call last night to say company is switching to work from home, of course I have a sore throat and a cough so official guidance means I’m not supposed to travel (especially on public transport) so going to have to see if they can ship me my desktop.

My sister texted me last night to say that her work is doing the same looks like everyone who can will be switching to remote working.

Just got a phone call last night to say company is switching to work from home, of course I have a sore throat and a cough so official guidance means I’m not supposed to travel (especially on public transport) so going to have to see if they can ship me my desktop.

My sister texted me last night to say that her work is doing the same looks like everyone who can will be switching to remote working.
Hope it is just a cold as I suspect more people have basic colds and flu at the moment in the UK and are presuming the worst.

Well that should help with our CO2 emissions, and we might even meet our target after all if we can manage it well.

Loo roll??? Get a bum sprayer!!! Common in Asia and Egypt;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOILET-BIDET-KIT-Shattaf-Douche-Spray-incl-Shut-Off-Valve-Shower-Head-Hose/123687688591?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

We now have 3 positives on Tiree,,,, Docs and Vets(???) lock-downed. Don't think of running here to escape C19.
We are looking at total lock-down even here on the Atlantic edge. Went to pub for last chance F&C supper, 3 people there. They will shut down next. Thankfully, Got 50 l Cream blonde and 25 l Cidree to survive on.

Stay safe people and keep your sanitiser stocks well hidden,,, good luck everyone!

Are you sure this is correct. Not saying you are wrong but I can't find any detailed breakdown of where the highland cases are. I thought they might be on Mull as one of the schools is closed.

Im wondering how its getting out to the islands without being present in Oban.

To add to that there are those going through cancer treatment which will be quite a lot, the chemotherapy depletes the immune system no end. ........

This is an absolute "Reality Check" for us!

My cousin's wife was diagnosed with stomach cancer last month, just before all of this Coronavirus thing kicked off and the doctors and nurses put her on a special diet for a month in order to "build her up" before she attends her very first session of "Chemo" a week today.

We would love to visit them both, even if it means throwing caution to the winds for ourselves, but the thought of transmitting something that can kill her is just too fraught with danger to even consider.

Deep down we fear the worse for her own (and obviously her husband's) future and compared to this situation missing holidays, lack of bog-roll, self-isolation etc fade into tiny and insignificant irritants!

What a bummer! Phone calls and texts just can never replace a hug can they!

Are you sure this is correct. Not saying you are wrong but I can't find any detailed breakdown of where the highland cases are. I thought they might be on Mull as one of the schools is closed.

Im wondering how its getting out to the islands without being present in Oban.

Clarification from our excellent medical team;

"Message from Tiree Medical Practice: COVID19
Following lots of speculation today we wanted to clarify some points on the current Coronavirus situation on Tiree
We now have had our first suspected case of coronavirus on Tiree.
This has been a clinical diagnosis which means the patient had symptoms of coronavirus and on examination had findings consistent with a diagnosis of coronavirus.
Unfortunately we are unable to do swab tests which would enable us to make a confirmed diagnosis of coronavirus. This is not our decision and has been decided by public health.
As such we have made the diagnosis but are unable to exclude illness with similar symptoms such as flu.
This patient is presumed to have coronavirus and is self isolating appropriately."

a) No clinical diagnosis due to our location.
b) One person, but part of a family unit, allegedly not travelled. However our school is closed for a deep clean..
c) Many kids just returned from abroad on flights. There is a potential for external infection.

Stay safe people.

Hope it is just a cold as I suspect more people have basic colds and flu at the moment in the UK and are presuming the worst.

Well that should help with our CO2 emissions, and we might even meet our target after all if we can manage it well.
I suspect it is not running a fever and have a running nose (never thought that would be considered a relief) so almost certainly a cold not fun but means it should be over on a few days.

one of the things they are talking about now is the attempt to develop a test to determine if people have had it, as just like many people are likely t9 confuse a regular cold or flu with Coronavirus I wonder how many mild cases people assumed to be a case of cold or flu.

Latest posts

Back