That souer GUINNES taste.. how to get it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sour or bitter?

I went to a festival recently and one of the brewers had made a sour milk stout. They used lactobacillus.

Really weird beer, it sort of tasted fruity despite no fruit. A mix of emotions drinking it. Surprise mostly... 🙂

Here's a quote (2016) from Ron Pattinson's Blog site (A Proper Stout! - my "title" words, not Ron's, though who knows what he thinks of Guinness!):

Almost forgot. English Stout rant. Not low-gravity, not sweet, no lactose. And that Guinness – a bit acidic. 0.04 – 0.05 was the usual level.

We do always get this discussion about the mythical acidity in Guinness. But are we talking an intentional process by Guinness ... or just lack of quality assurance. 😈

From what I have read, the addition of soured wort was a process that increased the perception of the body of the beer.

Charlie Papazian calls it "that Guinness tang" and how they used to achieve it was by adding 2 or 3% soured Guinness after fermentation. They probably don't do that any more, if what Charlie said has any truth to it.

Guinness have messed around with their stout quite a bit over the last 20 years. And not for the better, IMHO.

I remember the "sour" Guinness. I think it all changed when the Brewery was "modernised". I read somewhere that the sour taste came from an inherent yeast in the brewery and by adding back soured wort. This obviously isn't good modern practice.

Guinness, Sour 🤷🏼‍♂. That’s a new one to me,, add a drop of vinegar
Ahh, that's tragic, it's another of those Guinness myths that is no longer "a new one to you". But don't despair, new myths will quickly arise to make up for its loss. (What's more ... Guinness, the company, won't have to lift a finger to spin new stories ... they happen anyway!).

I remember the "sour" Guinness. I think it all changed when the Brewery was "modernised".
Possibly. Although, I think it was more a function of packaging and dispense. Guinness used the less sanitary wooden casks up into the 60's and beer was served by pooring a combination of mild (fresh and carbonated) and flat (old, stale and likely acidic) beer, the high and low barrels. This practice went on into the 70's until nitro kegs were introduced. I wonder if the brewery was modernised to facilitate kegging. Chickens and eggs.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2018/5/14/the-high-and-low

Last edited:
A year or two ago I tasted a Guinness from a can. It definitely had a light acidic taste/tang, not in a bad way, but it's not really to my taste (I don't really like Rodenbach, or equivalent beers, either).

Roasted Barley is pretty acidic. With little sweetness and very little else in the recipe other than 10% Roasted Barley, that may show through more than in other beers.

There's a suggestion I'm this, and the linked blog within, that Guinness reintroduced Roasted Barley in 1973* (briefly used in the 1930's). Roasted barley (unmalted) would give a different flavour from other roasted malts.

*Incidently the year of the above video.

Putting two and two together and possibly getting six, in 1973 they switched to kegging guinness and used Roasted Barley to replace the sourness from serving partially aged beer, or more significantly beer served with nitro rather than Co2.

Last edited:
Possibly. Although, I think it was more a function of packaging and dispense. Guinness used the less sanitary wooden casks up into the 60's and beer was served by pooring a combination of mild (fresh and carbonated) and flat (old, stale and likely acidic) beer, the high and low barrels. This practice went on into the 70's until nitro kegs were introduced. I wonder if the brewery was modernised to facilitate kegging. Chickens and eggs.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2018/5/14/the-high-and-low

What a fascinating video!

I dont get a sourness from Guinness at all, in fact I find it very bland. However, I did buy a bottle of Nigerian Guinness Foreign Extra Stout from Home bargains a couple of weeks ago, and that had a very definite sour twang.

I've absolutely no idea what that means. 🤣

Latest posts

Back